Problem with tortoise shell. Please help!

Wrigley36

I have a sulcata tortoise. He's about 7 years old. I believe this happened during his digging. Is there anything I can do for him or should do without going to the vet. That's last resort. Is he in pain? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 55

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Looks like top layer, should e no pain, and should heal on it's own. Keeping it clean couldn't hurt.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Just keep it clean and maybe treat with Neosporin, nothing much can be done for a scute that fell off. The area will be sensitive for a few days, maybe keep him indoors, if you let him out some gauze with Neosporin on it that has been strapped on with bandage with help keep it clean.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's very painful. It would be the same as if you lost a fingernail. Are you sure it wasn't chewed off by a rat or a dog? Tortoises' shells are very sturdy and digging wouldn't do that damage. In my opinion, you should go to a vet and get a round of antibiotics for the tortoise.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
I agree with Yvonne. From a medical professional standpoint any time you have a wound on an animal that lives outside and is exposed to elements and bacteria you should get them a round of antibiotics just to be safe.