Problem with rescued dt

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Is there a possibility that it got heat stroke at some point and has a little bit of brain damage?
I know you said there was a large tree, shade and all, but it could have been tipped over in the sun and unable to right itself, or wedged where there is sun, and overheated one day. Just a thought. Although how would we ever now that for sure.

I am so glad this little one will be getting much better care with you. Yay!

About the former keepers. Education is everything. Sometimes people just do not know any better.
They may have thought they were doing the right thing. Survive and thrive are two different things, right?

Which is why this forum is so awesome for little chelonians everywhere. Information/knowledge is power!
More TFO members = more info = more happy, healthy tortoises and turtles. : )

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
BeeBee, I also thought that it could be for something like that.
Does anyone know what are the symptoms of an overheated tortoise??
Could this be the reason of this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My gut response when I saw the second video was to immobilize the legs in some way, give lots of calcium and sunshine and feed well. Immobilization would give the joints/muscles time to heal without moving. Then after a week or so, remove the restraints and put in a small enclosure with very good traction and allow minimal exercise. Water therapy might be a good idea too. Figure out a way to keep the tortoise floating and put it in enough water that the legs don't touch the bottom.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I finally got to talk to the previous owner, he keeps his tortoises in a very LITTLE backyard, they dont get direct sunlight since theres a huge tree in there.

So this person has others still, are they all the same species? You show "tortoises"....what type of tree is in the yard?

They took her from the wild, and she was fed 100% pure iceber lettuce all of the time.

This tort is not a baby/hatchling....so how long has the tort been in the care of these people? I mean, if the tort was in the wild for most of the time it grew to this size and then was placed into the poor environment I don't believe the iceberg alone was the key problem here....was there any grass in the small space? Were there any other CDTs in the yard?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That tort looks as though it ate something toxic and the results are what you see....however, there is no way for me to know that for certain...

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
Will follow your advice yvonne.

Ascott, they are all gopherus a. I already saw a picture. There must be 5 more in there. The place looks small... I guess 3x3 meters. No grass, the tree seems to be a big mezquite.
I also thought it couldnt be mbd, since it was taken from the wild a san adult, but it has been this way for about 7 years. Can you imagine this??

Im trying my best to go there and show this guy a lesson!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wonder if the tortoise was bitten by something venomous? What are the common snakes in the area? Man, this motion just looks like a direct result of an event....not as a result of care....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So, the tort wants to move wants to eat and participate right....you may just need to nurse him right now--hand feeding, supervised soaks and such...perhaps the tort will work through this...if it is indeed an event based issue...gosh, this is really going to bug me....

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
Hello, thanks for asking Mado.
Nothing new.
Im giving lots of calcium and healthy food...
Lots of sunshine.
I havent been able to inmobilize the back legs, because Ive been having much at work, and I wouldnt feel good leaving her tied up while im not here.
Im thinking about taking her inside, with an UV lamp and then immobilize the legs and keep up with the calcium with d3.
Its very frustrating... do you guys think she can recover??
The vet said she can, but to be honest, I dont really trust the her, I mean... she is the only one in town that knows about exotic pets, but still...
To be honest I trust more in what you guys say....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have seen pictures of where a vet has moved the back leg up into the leg cavity, then taped it in place so it can't come back out.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
its so sad how can some one can take something so beautiful from the wild and give it such improper care. again WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

I totally agree R/S/T. :(