Probably a Dumb Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

byerssusan

I was just sitting here thinking..I.. if correct have heard that baby tortoises spend most of their time in wild in their burrows : I also got this from another site:
African Sulcatas are from the hot, arid regions of the Sub-Sahara, and do not do well in damp, wet, or cold conditions. In the wild Sulcatas "aestivate" which means they go underground for months at a time in periods of intolerable heat and drought. The burrows are cooler and supply enough humidity to prevent the tortoise from dehydrating during this extended period. Aestivating is not hibernating, which is winter dormancy characterized by lowered blood pressure and respiration rate.

Ok well if they spend alot of time in their burrows..Why do we have to have sunlight on them most of the time. When in the wild they do fine apparently without it if they spend most their time in their burrows.

Maybe I am having a duh! moment LOL

One reason I am wondering all this is because I have been keeping Phoenix outside most of the day for the sunshine.She has shade water etc..And I give her daily soaks since I have been doing this, along with misting her. But I have noticed her shell is looking dry.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Definitely NOT a dumb question! I look forward to hearing the answer myself.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
There are no Dumb questions. I have wondered this myself and I'm now waiting to hear the responses. TY for asking Susan.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Love this question ;

Keep in mind that uv rays can travel around corners through cracks and crevices (everywhere that a solid item does not block their path) as well as travel into shade spots.....

While hatchlings "likely" do not travel far from their hiding spots/burrow edge they have limited access to food...limited time for direct exposure to unfiltered uv rays and heat....yet they do have mild exposure to humidity in their hide....keep in mind also that usually the first 7-8 inches of thewatch earth is what generally dries out and below that there is a better constant humidity level....which is also not identical in all places due to the make up of the geographic location in different parts of the world.....you know?

I have been an advocate that hatchlings and young babies should have a source of heat and a source of low grade uvb at their disposal....some feel differently and that is what is great about sharing opinions and practically use experiences.....

I am sure you will get lots of good stuff on this thread...

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
There are no dumb questions...only dumb people... isn't that how the saying goes?:p Just Kidding!

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
byerssusan said:
Maybe I am having a duh! moment LOL

First of all, there is no such thing as a dumb question here. Secondly, now I am wondering that too.

B

byerssusan

Well I can admit I may be dumb in some areas of my life..But my saying is
"My momma didn't raise a fool" *S*

B

byerssusan

okay why is it when I searched " Studies done on Sulcatas living in the wild" there are none? I'm confused. Perhaps someone could help give me that info. I mean actual get out in the field studies..to show their natural habits in the wild etc. How does everyone know how this is right or that is right if there are no studies done? Apparently I am looking in the wrong places I guess.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying anyone here does not know how to take care of them LOL..I know better..I am not saying that at all. I just want to go to the source if there is any. Learn all I can

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've never seen any real, published studies. Just hearsay and anecdotes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe that there are some general reptile care guidelines...then there are way too many sacrifices that have given their lives up to better care learned over time....there are alot of trial and error that have brought us to where we are now...and will also get us into the future of better care....while there are general studies done on a variety of tortoise and turtle the research only seems to get stepped up when a species is almost entirely gone.....this is all IMHO....

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
laramie said:
I have a question now. How do torts in the wild get calcium?

All of the areas that tortoises are native to tend to have extremely calcium rich soil. The water therefor has a higher level of dissolved calcium, and the plants as well absorb calcium and are more calcium rich than plants that grow in areas where the soil contains less calcium. Also, tortoises will eat mouthfuls of soil, small pebbles, insects, small lizards and mammals, and bones to supplement their need for calcium and other minerals.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lynn, that was an awesome site...thank you for sharing...as i loved reading all I am also saddened when i see the decline as the cause for such a site..... thank you again, I found that too be very cool...especially the part about the hatchlings being able to form their own burrow at near a year/or when their shell hardens...awesome :D

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Kristina said:
laramie said:
I have a question now. How do torts in the wild get calcium?

All of the areas that tortoises are native to tend to have extremely calcium rich soil. The water therefor has a higher level of dissolved calcium, and the plants as well absorb calcium and are more calcium rich than plants that grow in areas where the soil contains less calcium. Also, tortoises will eat mouthfuls of soil, small pebbles, insects, small lizards and mammals, and bones to supplement their need for calcium and other minerals.

Thank Kristina:D

B

byerssusan

Utah Lynn Thank you I found that site also...It still well.. I couldnt find where it showed detailed studies of their habits.

Ascott yeah I found tons of guidelines to how to take care of them. That's my meaning here..I know trial and error has brought us to where we are today..But where is the research studies on th? You can just about search any animal and find field research done to back up what they may say is good/bad/ etc on how too take care of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.