Pro rep or coco coir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitea34

5 Year Member
Hey iv been using wood chippings in my russians enclosure for a fews months now and been advised is not great to use so what to move to coco coir. But saw this pro rep straw bedding in my pet shop and just wanted to see which is best. Id like to in the future plant things I there to grow if this is advised. Also im currently using an indoor rabbit cage and wanted to confirm this is ok?
Thanks in advance

RussTort

10 Year Member!
The rabbit cage is fine if it is at least 3x6 feet and is 12 inches high measured from the substrate.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
whitea34 said:
Hey iv been using wood chippings in my russians enclosure for a fews months now and been advised is not great to use so what to move to coco coir. But saw this pro rep straw bedding in my pet shop and just wanted to see which is best. Id like to in the future plant things I there to grow if this is advised. Also im currently using an indoor rabbit cage and wanted to confirm this is ok?
Thanks in advance

Don't use straw bedding for tortoises. It cannot retain moisture, so it cannot provide a humid microclimate, and it can also get moldy. Coco coir is much better, and in my opinion, the best. You can also use soil (without perlite or vermiculite), although that can become infested with pests indoors more easily.

As for the rabbit cage, I would not use it for a tortoise. Terrariums with glass or acrylic sides are also not recommended. Basically, this is becauses tortoises usually try to go through walls if they can see through to the other side. It's best to use a solid-walled enclosure, such as a large tub, a bookcase, or a custom-built tortoise table.

Status
Not open for further replies.