Prickly pear fruit and not eating outside.

Hai

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson az
Is it ok for them to eat the prickly pear fruit and if so do you need to do any thing to them? Also when I put my tortoises in there outside enclosure they won't touch there food at all until I put them back inside in there inside encloser. Is there anything I can do? I would like to be able to leave them outside eventually.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Prickly pear fruit, called "tuna", can be fed occasionally, as a treat, but not as part of his daily diet. Depending upon how large your sulcatas are, they can either eat it whole (they bite off pieces) or you can cut it into smaller chunks.

You can put your tortoises outside for a short while daily, it doesn't matter if they eat out there or not. Eventually, when they get used to the outside area they'll eat.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use rubber gloves under running water and wipe the glochids off of the cactus fruits before feeding it out. For smaller tortoises I cut it lengthwise into four strips to help them get at it. I only feed them this about once a week or once every other week, and I mix it in with other foods like grasses, weeds and leaves.

Its probably too hot for them outside right now. What size tortoises are we talking about? How long are you leaving them outside?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I use rubber gloves under running water and wipe the glochids off of the cactus fruits before feeding it out. For smaller tortoises I cut it lengthwise into four strips to help them get at it. I only feed them this about once a week or once every other week, and I mix it in with other foods like grasses, weeds and leaves.

Its probably too hot for them outside right now. What size tortoises are we talking about? How long are you leaving them outside?

I’m with Tom on this one....roasting hot in Tucson

B9B3AF37-CB51-44AA-9E95-714FB84A7DDC.jpeg

Hai

Tucson az
Yes i havent been putting them out lately bc its been so hot out. But i was having them outside in the morning till noon. There still pretty young. One is like 6-7 in and other is 4. I havent plently of shade for them. About the prickly pears is it a good idea to de-seed them also? I tried buring the stickers off but only seems to go on the outside. Seems like theres alot of little ones underneath the growing spots. Best to just cut the out?

Last edited: