Practical Indoor Enclosure Idea

Rynan

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey guys, this is just a ran down of the items I want to use for my first indoor enclosure. Please let me know if it works

This will be placed on a table

Mixing Tub (36x28x8 inches)

Substrate
Bottom Layer just plain dirt from the backyard? - this allows me to plant some grass patches
Top layer - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Better-...VXD2tBh1KUQJvEAQYASABEgKXRvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hide Box
black dish washing tub with soaked orchid bark

water dish - plant saucer

Heating
45-65 watt incandescent flood bulb, does this bulb work with any lamp? I have a minimalist string lamp which is basically just a wire with a bulb. If it works then I can just replace the bulb and it'll be easier to manipulate the wire around the pan to adjust lighting.
- thermometers too

Am I missing anything else or this would work?

I think I'm good on the UV rays department since I live in SoCal, our yard gets sun all year long whether we want them or not... I know Tom mentioned hr of sunlight per inch of the tortoise, is this per day?

Thanks for your feed back in advance.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Most folks will recommend not using plain old garden soil. If you want to grow plants, plant things in separate pots or trays and add them in (sunken down into the bark substrate). Same with grass/weeds, grow in trays & swap in & out. Anything planted directly into your substrate will either die, get trampled, or eaten up or a combination of all three. You could get some hanging plants like Pothos & hang in your enclosure. Let the vine/leaves drape down.

What age & kind of tortoise? Are you putting a lid on the top?

Rynan

Southern California
Greetings. Most folks will recommend not using plain old garden soil. If you want to grow plants, plant things in separate pots or trays and add them in (sunken down into the bark substrate). Same with grass/weeds, grow in trays & swap in & out. Anything planted directly into your substrate will either die, get trampled, or eaten up or a combination of all three. You could get some hanging plants like Pothos & hang in your enclosure. Let the vine/leaves drape down.

What age & kind of tortoise? Are you putting a lid on the top?
So just top soil and orchid bark. Is that what you mean? I want a lid since I read that it keeps humidity better but do not have any ideas for it right now. Maybe a plastic bin cover with holes and always leave a crack?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So just top soil and orchid bark. Is that what you mean?

No….no soil at all really. Garden soil has all kinds of questionable stuff in it, some toxic. It’s ground up “stuff” made to grow plants, not for close contact with pets. Stick with 100% clean coir or orchid bark or cypress mulch.