Post Your Hatchling Habitats!

MissShadow

I've been considering getting a leopard tortoise and would like to see everyone's Hatchling habitat. I have researched temps/humidity, etc. I work at an exotic vet with an awesome doctor so that's a plus! Just want to see some visuals! Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have quite a few nice habitats posted in our Enclosure section, both indoor and out. They're pinned at the top of the section. Here's my baby leopard enclosure:

baby leopard enclosure 4-11-16 a.jpg baby leopard enclosure 4-11-16 b.jpg

These are babies that are hatched out here in my incubators. The aquarium is not big enough to use as a permanent housing, but they are to be sold.

I took out the hook from the Zoo Med light stand (you can see it laying on the table in front of the aquarium) and instead positioned a small aluminum tube that goes over the whole aquarium. That way I'm able to have two light fixtures instead of just one. I have a black light in the fixture that hangs over the hiding places, and a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb in the other fixture. Then I have a tube type UVB light that I lay over the end of the aquarium for two days, then over the desert tortoise babies in the other enclosure you see, for two days, going back and forth so I only need one UVB light for the two enclosures.

The babies have long since killed the plants, but they seem to like snuggling down inside the pots, so I leave them in there.

I have aluminum foil draped over the light stand, then a cut open black plastic garbage bag over that. At night I close up the end with the bag, but in the a.m. I have to open it because it gets too hot inside totally covered. I add water to the substrate when it gets too dry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only have one hatchling so far. So half this is blocked off making the enclosure 2x4, otherwise it's 4x4. Coconut coir and orchid bark substrate UVB flourescent Che's and regular 60 watt bulbs for heat and light.
image.jpg