Possibly ingested substrate

KirstenK

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
Hi all. I am a new Hermanns tort owner, I got a male about 4yrs old (they said) about a month ago and he seems to be doing well so far. I have him in a large table on cypress mulch, with areas of soil and coir mix. I've read a lot here before joining so have some info including dangers of ingesting substrate. Today I'm pretty sure I saw him accidentally ingest a piece of the mulch while eating his greens. It went down before I could grab the tip sticking out of his mouth, so now I am freaking out that it will hurt him, he'll get impacted or something. Right now, is there something I can do to help him digest or pass it? I think I read about giving oil but now sure where I saw that, nor how I'd get it in him, nor what kind. he'd never let me hold his mouth open, though I could put it on his food I guess. Is it inevitable that something bad will happen, or do they sometimes pass or digest things?

What should I look out for in terms of distress, damage or impaction? god I hope he doesn't' get ill or hurt.

Second separate question: a few times since I got him I have seen what I am thinking it his sex organ/penis come out. this happens (that I've noticed) while soaking, and he does pass waste in his soaks. He eats well. He seems to poop fine (every morning and sometimes while I'm at work or in evening). He eats tort food, and a variety of leafy greens including baby kale, dandelion, and sometimes a bit of raspberry or squash. the organ (or whatever it is) looks what I'd say is healthy and goes right back in when I pick him up to put him back in his enclosure. I will say that I feel like he does not pass urate (the white stuff) as much as he poops and wondering if that is normal. I will add that he does not like his soaks, will generally want to get out. The water is on the warm side of tepid as I was advised.

Thanks in advance.

Kirsten (and Harold the tortoise)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Regarding the substrate - cypress mulch won't harm the tortoise, that's one of the reasons we use it.

Far as the penis goes - this is a common occurrence with male tortoises. As long as it goes back inside it's ok. If it stays out, it's called prolapse and needs to be tended to.

KirstenK

Philadelphia
Oh thank goodness. It's hard to imagine though that he would be able to digest it and the woodness of it not harm his insides. I am definitely going to foodonly lay in his slate and big rocks going forward.

And glad to hear about the penis ha!