Possible shell rot?

Jessie5099

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello all!
I am watching my sister's tortoise and I am concerned about her health. She is a red footed tortoise and seems very lethargic. When I got her, she did not have a UVB light or heat lamp (not sure for how long) and her tank was bone dry (there is a water dish). On Sunday, I got the new lamps set up and gave her a baby food bath and she seemed to perk up. Yesterday she ate some zucchini but today, she isn't looking too good again. Here are pictures of her shell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance ?

Attachments

• 20200929_184430_20200929_184630.jpg
    20200929_184430_20200929_184630.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200929_184420_20200929_184634.jpg
    20200929_184420_20200929_184634.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 22

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello all!
I am watching my sister's tortoise and I am concerned about her health. She is a red footed tortoise and seems very lethargic. When I got her, she did not have a UVB light or heat lamp (not sure for how long) and her tank was bone dry (there is a water dish). On Sunday, I got the new lamps set up and gave her a baby food bath and she seemed to perk up. Yesterday she ate some zucchini but today, she isn't looking too good again. Here are pictures of her shell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance ?
The shell does not look that bad. I think the main concern at this point is the lethargy and trying to get the tortoise to eat. I recommend soaking it daily for 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water to keep it hydrated. Upon removing it from the soak, place it in front of a pile of various foods and see if it will start to eat on its own. Try a wide variety of food items in order to find something it will eat. Once it begins to eat, it may perk up.

If you cannot get it to eat, you probably need to get it to a vet to have its condition evaluated and have a feeding tube placed so you can feed it and medicate it while it is recovering from this depressed state it is in now.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello all!
The tortoise should be kept in a dampish environment with high humidity and a temperature in the mid 80's also.

Jessie5099

Maryland
The tortoise should be kept in a dampish environment with high humidity and a temperature in the mid 80's also.
That's what I've been trying to give her the past couple days! I'm not sure how long it's been since she's had the proper environment unfortunately

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Agreed.
That does look like a minimal shell fungus issue.
But it's a separate issue and not a serious one.
Deal with that (with athletes foot cream) once you've got the housing figured out.
You need humidity of over 75% and an ambient temperature of around 82 to 84.
Offer him/her some fruit. Redfoot can process sugars and fruit is a good food to "jump start" eating.