Possible Shell Rot on Map Turtle?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Here are some pictures of Tama's shell..does it look like shell rot, or is it just old damage? Everything is dry, no oozing. He seems to be bothered by even a soft touch on the top of the shell.

The head injury is healing up, and I've been putting antibiotics over the wound daily. You can see it a little bit in the last picture, if anyone's wondering what it is.

And sorry to keep posting turtles on the tortoise forum!

Attachments

• IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    831.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    935.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    833.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    842.4 KB · Views: 35

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Sorry, just have to wait until a turtle person can respond. I'd think the care would be different than a tortoise since we can keep a tort dry.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Just an update if anyone in the future has a similar problem and finds this post - I brought Tama to the vet for his shell and was told that the marks are due to a burn he sustained a while ago, the vet suspects it was due to him getting too close to the heat lamp since he had some pneumonia.

It will take months to heal, but at least I know it's not shell rot and that the shell falling off is just dead shell/bone. I was told to put betadine/silver sufadiazine daily on the shell to keep it clean to reduce the risk of infection, until any new shell growth appears.