Eye issue!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
First of all, I feel like i am leeching right now... I need to give back to my community but i havent had time.....i am so tired..So tired.. catching up from being away. Two sick torts.. I am going to cry right now....................................

BB isnt doign to bad, but his eye is closed every morning and after naps. I got a natural eye drop from the pharmacy, its made for a sty.. When i use it, he can open his eye instantly.

Ok history,

BB is now 3 months old, growing and eating great.

After my week vacation, he came home and the next morning his eye was shut. Now he was used to Daily soaks and his sitter didnt soak him. So i am assuming dehydration, right? its only one eye after all.

Well he has been soaked every day once and received eye drops ever time his eye is closed. I have thought about an allergy to something, so i stripped down his bed to start newspaper. and still have the issue.

I kept him at 80 percent humidity over night same issue.

after he sleeps for a few hours its is stuck closed.

Suggestions

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Get some terrymicin, and post some pictures of him. Maybe he injured it---poked it on a piece of hay maybe?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I think that spelling is off on that.. cause what i googled didnt pull up a eye ointment..

Where can i get some online? Or can it be bought at a store?

I just did a mini video.. uploading it now

You tube video - I just uploaded it, it might take a few mins to post on the you tube site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiflZ6LR2qA[hr]
Video is up and working, go ahead and talk all the funny you want about my dorky self, and my food but i really want my bb better....

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
It is out of stock.. but thx for the pic, i can look around now..

I cant find Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment

all the sites are out of stock!! What the heck?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your vet might be able to sell you a tube.

When I see eye-stuck-shut questions my first thought is, "substrate too dry."

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Yeah, Yvonne, i have thought the same thing. I did the humid thing and it didnt help. I am trying to figure it all out.

SO today after a night of newspaper it was still closed. So i am thinking about trying something different for him tonight AGAIN!

Ok so I added a large middle section of eco earth.... I should have never left!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Sorry to hear BB has a black eye; maybe they were wresting and things got out of hand? ;)

I hope you find the ointment soon so he gets well again. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

LLLreptile has terramycin eye ointment in stock. Put your tort back on a moist substrate and treat him as you would normally and that should straighten him out. If he's just suffering from a bad babysitter and you are home now and soaking him and feeding normally he will come around. But that would take a few days not just over night. If you are trying to get Stephanie she's on the road with Brooke...

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Susie my Vet Tech Friend is going to get me some from her Office in So Cal, then ship it to me!!! I hate using her like that, but its for a good purpose

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The terramycin is really hard to find right now - I was told that it has been temporarily taken off the market becuase it is actually being sent to Iraq and Afghanistan for the soldiers. I had a HORRID time finding it for my little Russian, and paid twice what I normally do for it....

BB will be fine in the end, just keep soaking and he will come around.

Kristina

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
My girl is going to pick some up from the vet for me tomorrow if they have it in stock..

but my friend over here said not to use it, since there is NO SIGN of infection..

It is probably a scratched cornea, so should i still use it? ( i love getting different answers) jk

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are two kinds of Terramycin eye ointment...one has cortisone in it. The one we recommend doesn't. Yes, even if the eyeball is scratched...especially if the eyeball is scratched, use the ointment.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Its open this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH !!!

ERRRRRRRRRRRR

I spoke to soon... Now Both of Salts eyes are closed!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Ebay has it for $5.99 including shipping from a 99-100% couple sellers. Just bought a tube per Maggie's reminder, as I kept putting it off. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
EBAY oh my goss, i order every thing off that and yet i dont think of it for this? smack me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.