Possible CA Desert Tortoise?

BDugnutt

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was looking through some Animal Control postings and happened upon this tortoise. (I apologize for the small picture. It was what was provided on the listing.)

I'm a newbie when it comes down to it, but it is possible that this is a male CA Desert Tortoise?

I know that Desert Tortoises are both considered threatened at the state and federal level and also require permits to possess. I am concerned that the folks at the Animal Control office might not necessarily know what they have and could possibly be sending this critter off to someone who can pay the fees.

I am considering contacting the local Turtle and Tortoise Club, who handles adoptions and permit registrations for CA DTs, about this animal. Any advice as to how to proceed?

Attachments

• Tortoise.png
    Tortoise.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 4

zovick

10 Year Member!
I should add that the listing says that it's been at that center for about a month now, past the lost pet hold window.
It might well be a Desert Tortoise, but I cannot clearly see whether or not it has a nuchal scute in that photo. It appears that it does, but I cannot be certain. If it does have that scute, it is a Desert Tortoise. If not, it is likely a sulcata also known as the African Spurred Tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was looking through some Animal Control postings and happened upon this tortoise. (I apologize for the small picture. It was what was provided on the listing.)

I'm a newbie when it comes down to it, but it is possible that this is a male CA Desert Tortoise?

I know that Desert Tortoises are both considered threatened at the state and federal level and also require permits to possess. I am concerned that the folks at the Animal Control office might not necessarily know what they have and could possibly be sending this critter off to someone who can pay the fees.

I am considering contacting the local Turtle and Tortoise Club, who handles adoptions and permit registrations for CA DTs, about this animal. Any advice as to how to proceed?
It is indeed a male desert tortoise.

Its easy to get the license from CTTC. Its free. You just fill out a little half page form. Its not a problem.

Do you want the tortoise, or are you trying to get it adopted by someone else? If you don't want it for yourself, you don't need to do anything. They will handle it all.

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

I would contact CTTC. Most shelters know to contact them and they usually also are on the lookout for them at shelters, but I would let them know.

BDugnutt

Southern California
What part of SoCAwas this tortoise found? I know someone who lost a large tort in the Salton Sea area.
I don't know the details about where it was found, but it's being held out in the Santa Clarita area.

Thanks for the responses, all!

After a little digging, I've found out that there's a local CTTC chapter nearby. I think I will e-mail them later just so they're aware of this tortoise.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I don't know the details about where it was found, but it's being held out in the Santa Clarita area.

Thanks for the responses, all!

After a little digging, I've found out that there's a local CTTC chapter nearby. I think I will e-mail them later just so they're aware of this tortoise.

I know people in that club they handle rescue DTs a lot.you should definitely let them know

SluggersMom70

Fontana CALIFORNIA

Absolutely reach out to your local TTC so this beauty goes to the right people. This is why I feel so strongly about having some sort of identification on our tortoises!! SO many tortoises and turtles were found wandering in my area this year!!! It's unbelievable that people don't pay more attention to their family pets!!