Possible biting deterrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caitlyn_m210

5 Year Member
Well I have had my russian tortoise, Houdini, for almost two months now. He seems to enjoy his habitat, eats healthy, likes to roam around the floor and explore. But there is one problem... as soon as i put my hand in his enclosure (for whatever reason) he seems to be more interested in my fingers, and really skin in general. This happens even when i have food. I have been practicing the tortoise whisperer thing lol and it is too soon to tell.

I was thinking if i put a glove on when I feed him, he may not associate my hand, or skin, with food.

I am really just interested in ways to put a hault to the biting! Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Are you wearing fingernail polish? Are you hand feeding him and he just expects there to always be food? Are your fingers reminding him of food he may be feed like Mazuri sorta could look like a finger.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Since RTs are herbivores, it is fairly unusual for them to bite a human finger... unless the finger is at the end of a really yummy treat, or the finger smells like yummy food (or has fruity lotion on it?) or has bright nail polish (yum! berries!). :) I have bitten by my Russians a few times, but only if I was hand-feeding and wasn't watching out.

That said, my little Greek kind of does that, and it hurts! As a result, I just put the food in there, and any time I am interacting with him, when he starts opening his mouth and reaching for my finger, I move my hand sideways and stroke his front leg. I like to think that this might teach him that my finger is no there to interact with his beak...

caitlyn_m210 said:
Well I have had my russian tortoise, Houdini, for almost two months now. He seems to enjoy his habitat, eats healthy, likes to roam around the floor and explore. But there is one problem... as soon as i put my hand in his enclosure (for whatever reason) he seems to be more interested in my fingers, and really skin in general. This happens even when i have food. I have been practicing the tortoise whisperer thing lol and it is too soon to tell.

I was thinking if i put a glove on when I feed him, he may not associate my hand, or skin, with food.

I am really just interested in ways to put a hault to the biting! Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Place his food in the enclosure when he is asleep or on the opposite side. Don't try to hand feed this guy right now. The more often it gets you the more reinforceing it is. Or at least if you do, then dont be shocked by the occasional nibble. Depending on its age it could also just be experimenting with a new taste experience as well. Most babies of all species(human as well) will do this in one form or another. Generally if they are going to bite, they sniff first. If you see it sniffing your finger move it away.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe he likely has associated you with food....as with a snake, if you feed directly from your hand----you are asking for strike trouble....nothing personal...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.