Popcorn's enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello People!
Pop Corn is a baby Hermann, he is 5 weeks old and adorable :D. The temps on the cold side are around 24-26C, on the hot side 30C and it is 32C under the spot light. the light we use is a T-rex MVB, the distance between the light and Pop is 19 inches. At first, my fiance made a house made out of woods for Pop's, but the temps were too high in the cold side since I think the woods and the high sides were keeping the heat in the enclosure so we bought a plastic bin at Walmart and now the temps are ok :) (Do not worry we change the enclosure before Pop Corn's was put in it). I am not sure of what to do with the food dish, the food dish is in kind of ceramic and is in the aspen. I am scared that aspen pieces will get in the dish when Pop is getting in it, so Remo (my fiance) bought a ceramic piece but it looks like it is paint on it?
Here is Remo's hand holding the piece
DSCN1030.jpg

Would it be safe to put the food dish on it?

Here was the enclosure when I first put Popcorn in it
DSCN1021.jpg

I had to remove the blue hide because he was trying to go hide in the back of the house. This is the humd hide, there is Sphagmum moss in it. Today, I will have to find a new place for it.
Here is the enclosure now

DSCN1031.jpg

If some of you have any opinions, , comments or advices please do not hesitate to let me know :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a cute little teeny tiny baby! You've done a nice job on the habitat. (And don't worry about the piece of tile. What you think looks like paint is just the color and glaze that they put on before firing it. It won't bleed off the tile...its permanent.)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't know a thing about these babies Isa, I just know he's adorable. You made a great home for him too.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I didn't know that you had gotten Popcorn already. He is adorable and so small. I love his enclosure, but like Terry I don't know anything about these babies. Congratulations Remo and Isa on your new little tortoise. :D

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
Awwww.......look at that cute wittle baby!!! Baby Torts just drive me crazy!! Gotta love them! Your set up looks wonderful, and once you get the humidity box back in there you will be all set!!!:D

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
his home looks so neat and he is so cute! Mine baby girl Blacky will be 4 weeks old tomorrow and I wish she has a friend her age too! :D

Did you get your boy from Danny too? Just wondering if ours are brother and sister!

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
Mine is a Dalmation Hermanns, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis so I guess they are not brother and sister.... bummer... it would've been fun to know if Blacky got any brother and sister though. haha...

kiki

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Great enclosure! I think that tile will work great. What about adding more fake plants for hides? I'd fold over the stems and duct tape them to the bottom. The ones with broad leaves create great hiding places so the tort can dash from one to another, while they don't take up much floor space. I like to have a hide near the basking spot and neat the food so the tort feels safe at those important areas. You can lower the light a bit to bump up the basking spot to 35-37 C (95-100 F). Hatchlings like it hot, and 32 C is only 90 F. :) A temp gun might be a bit more accurate than those analog thermometers. Popcorn is adorable.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the advices Kate :)
I took one spider plants I had since a while and wondering jews (I washed their roots more than 6 months ago) and put them in his enclosure. I thought it would be enough but you are right, adding more would look nice and I am sure Popcorn would like that. As for the hides, Popcorn does not hide in them so I removed one and there is still one in the middle. I added shpagmum moss in a plant cup, I did not made a humid hide since as I said before, he does not hide in hides. I will put the light closer to make it more hot under the spot.
Here is Popcorn's enclosure as of now.
DSCN1081.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.