my enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasspack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Here is a picture of my enclosure....it has changed a little since I took the picture....the Zoomed Power sun is no longer laying on a screen it is hooked up to a zoomed light stand. I also covered the humid hide with a fake plant to make it more of a hide. I have also added a small dish of calcium powder and a small plant saucer for a water dish.
The substrate is half cypress-half coir and organic top soil as I wasn't sure which one I would like best so thought I would try both. I also added a hide on hot side. Basking temps are 92-94 and about 72 on cool end. I run a ceramic heat emitter 24/7 as my house is cold and that is what it took to keep the temps up to 68-70 on the cool end.
Humidity is about 55-60 percent. I mist it twice a day.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alice and Hannah
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/grasspack/P1000162.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alice:

That looks really nice. I would like to see the tortoise in there so I can tell how big the habitat is compared to the tortoise.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Great job!! Lucky tort. Is that a white power cord running through the habitat? I would just make sure your tort doesn't bite it. I had to move mine that was hanging over the habitat on the wall because of my very curious tort would stand upright on her hind legs to get at it.

Also, I know you just did half coir and half cypress to see which you like, but I love the way it looks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I love it. That's my kind of enclosure. Should be nice and spacious for a little Hermanns. I find this type of enclosure much more practical than wooden ones. Nicely done.

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks everyone....I actually love the enclosure. It is so easy to clean and it can take a beating. I can pressure wash it if I need to. It isn't the prettiest thing to have in my dining room but the cute little tort inside it makes up for that:)

I want to get it up off the floor so I am going to have hubby make a table of some sort with wheels and shelf underneath for storage.

Thanks again.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Nice! Glad you have the stands now. We use a dining room buffet for our tort enclosure in our dining room...nice storage underneath and its a good size to tuck against a wall. If you aren't in the mood to be handy, you might give that a thought (or a kitchen island sort of rolling table with bins under it). You should be able to get the temps up a few degrees by raising it up too (which is would I would recommend to get more like 70 to 95/100...with a lot of space in the 80s like the torts like).

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks everyone...I love my little enclosure, although I do like to "redecorate" every now and again. Little Fern seems happy in it and is exploring the entire thing now. She loves to walk through her little dish of calcium powder. She looks so tiny in there but will grow into it.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.