Poop Issues (pictures)

Capri

5 Year Member
Today I took Capri (red footed tortoise) out of her home to clean it because I saw some flies in there so I completely emptied it and that's all set now. But I was giving her a soak and she started to poop but it was different than her usual poop, very stringy and watery. She literally dragged it around for over an hour and it wouldn't come all the way out. I tried soaking her for longer and nothing helped. I was afraid to pull it out so I cut it with scissors as close to her bum as possible without being too close. It was at least 2.5 inches long. She gets a bath every day and always has a clean water bowl filled in her home. I don't know if it's because he's been eating wheat grass for the past 2 days but usually eats kale, collard greens, mango, red leaf lettuce and escarole. I just wanted to make sure that it's nothing to worry about. Sorry for the grossness of the picture lol luckily she wasn't in her home while this was going on.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What type of substrate are you using? does your tort have free range of the floor in your home? I see a tort with a poo that does not look to out of sorts especially if recently gorging on wheat grass.....nothing that would worry me...:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. If there are any long fibers of grass in it that you can see, that's probably the reason it's not coming out completely.

Capri

5 Year Member
That makes sense. We have cypress mulch, sphagnum moss, and organic topsoil. I should probably start cutting the grass a little shorter! Thanks for the help. She always makes me worried sick about her!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
LOL... The first wheat grass poop I had caused me to cut the wheat grass shorter. My lil guy was no more than 2 inches long and was trailing a 4 incher during a dinner party. One of my guest's five year old son screamed "Look at its butt" and of course everbody ran over to see poor Rollo's shame.

Capri

5 Year Member
Hahaha that is the best thing I've heard all day! I guess we all have to learn our lessons :p