Pneumonia

OzzyGirl1980

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
So the tort we adopted...Chi finally got in at our vet and she has pneumonia and bladder stones. Vet gave us injectable antibiotics to administer every 72 hours and I am soaking her daily. Her appetite is mostly good. I'm hopeful, but we shall see. I noticed after the first shot and now after one tonight, Chi gets very lethargic. This lasted 24 hours last time and before she got this shot, she was moving around and eating normally. Is this normal with a course of antibiotics? How long does treatment usual take before there's a turn around in health? I think im going to try a carrot soak a couple times a week as well. Any advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G might be able to help. I would do the carrot soaks with piedialyte in it to help keep strength up. I do know many go off eating when on antibiotics. Keep her warmer then normal by about 5 degrees and keep her well hydrated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When I administered antibiotic shots to my Redfoot, The antibiotics also killed the gut flora and she became weaker and stopped eating for a while. (no longer able to digest)
Only to rebound a few week later a new tortoise.
I wish you the same luck.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Which antibiotic?
Bladder stones depending on size will be problematic. Some can pass if small enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The carrot soaks are only for a tortoise that isn't eating.

Be sure to soak the tortoise daily while on antibiotics.

OzzyGirl1980

Ohio
Which antibiotic?
Bladder stones depending on size will be problematic. Some can pass if small enough.

Baytril. And vet said they were small. She passed 2 large amounts of urines/urates and now pees after every bath. So fingers crossed they've passed. She goes back next week.

OzzyGirl1980

Ohio
@Yvonne G might be able to help. I would do the carrot soaks with piedialyte in it to help keep strength up. I do know many go off eating when on antibiotics. Keep her warmer then normal by about 5 degrees and keep her well hydrated.

She's just finishing up her last dose. She didn't eat the day after each injection, but then her appetite returned to normal street 24 hrs