Ploughshare , Angonoka , Yniphora

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Borneo

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382774571.321937.jpg

New breeding season about to begin with the bulk of them fully active now !!

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
RE: Ploughshare , Angonoka , Yniphora

This looks like a great thread and I love the picture ... but all the old pictures are gone. Boo hoo waaaaaaa! : (
The ploughshares are priceless treasures. You are most fortunate to be able to be their host and keeper! Yaaaay! : )

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: Ploughshare , Angonoka , Yniphora

I came in late, too. Missed all but the last photo.
More hatchling and juvenile pictures please!

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

IMG_1689.JPG

With older siblings/half brothers or sisters !!

Enjoy

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383015586.437157.jpg

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

tortadise said:
Spectacular Sam. How many eggs does one female lay?

Will varies from clutch to clutch !

Will state a lower to upper range
3-7 eggs per nest and from 1-4 nest per season ( 28 days to 60+ days between lay)

So hard to give a definite answer .

Am expecting 5 new female to lay ( these I bought as babies few years back ) as they are sized ie. 13-14" and males have being busy chasing , humping them for the last 30 or so days they are awake .

Cheers

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

They the new female are big enough in term of size only but no guarantee when they will drop eggs !!

As they can start laying but all too small to hatch anything .

As with any other species new F can drop many clutches of eggs to be infertile before anything viable .

Cheers

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383790572.657750.jpg

First clutch for the new season .
Wanna guess - how many ?

Cheers

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

5? Such a spectacular sight Sam. I am glad your having lots of luck with this species. By chance what do you do with all the offspring. I certainly hope no inbreeding takes place? Also would love to know the earliest you have seen viable fertile eggs from a baby raised up? Again great accomplishments you are undertaking. Borneo is on my radar for a facility in the future because of its superb climate for many chelonian.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Ploughshare , Angonoka , Yniphora

emystiong said:
Wanna guess - how many ?

Cheers

I can see 4....

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

tortadise said:
5? Such a spectacular sight Sam. I am glad your having lots of luck with this species. By chance what do you do with all the offspring. I certainly hope no inbreeding takes place? Also would love to know the earliest you have seen viable fertile eggs from a baby raised up? Again great accomplishments you are undertaking. Borneo is on my radar for a facility in the future because of its superb climate for many chelonian.

Thanks for all the nice words .
Inbreeding , no way !! Certainly wont allow that to happen - just adult WC Male i have 8 to work with and more grow up to add to the gene pool ( these new male are bought as 2-3" babies years ago )

I keep good records !! At the moment i try to keep all progeny produced ( less than 10% given away or sold to fund this project )

Cheers

AnnV said:
emystiong said:
Wanna guess - how many ?

Cheers

I can see 4....

Yes 4 but sorry no prize for the right answer .
Now the long wait for them to hatch .

Cheers

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Excellent. I love to hear good collection management as you describe. In upcoming years I would love to visit you when I make a trip in those parts of the world. I know it may seem naive to say. But many legalities are bent with this species and others in countries like yours. I do praise seeing a person like you doing the right thing with such species. Keep it up. You may be one of very few keeping this species around. I am not sure if your familiar with a studbook system like Europe/US does with certain species. But certainly keep up good record keeping with diverse bloodlines. Again your service with this success is greatly appreciated by at least me.

On another note. how different is the incubation regime form radiata? Do you also incubate artificially or leave the ova in the ground? If the latter of the two. I would be interested in knowing what sexual diversity the offspring hatch out at. Especially knowing the very limited increase to decrease in degrees in your country. I know the wet/dry seasons also may be difficult(especially if the females lay during the wet monsoon season). Anyways enough blabbing.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

emystiong said:
WC Male i have 8 to work with and more grow up to add to the gene pool ( these new male are bought as 2-3" babies years ago )

Sam, congratulations again on continuous achievement for this species.

Do you still remember how many years ago you purchase those 2-3" babies? And is there any female among them which is also ready to lay eggs?

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

tortadise said:
Excellent. I love to hear good collection management as you describe. In upcoming years I would love to visit you when I make a trip in those parts of the world. I know it may seem naive to say. But many legalities are bent with this species and others in countries like yours. I do praise seeing a person like you doing the right thing with such species. Keep it up. You may be one of very few keeping this species around. I am not sure if your familiar with a studbook system like Europe/US does with certain species. But certainly keep up good record keeping with diverse bloodlines. Again your service with this success is greatly appreciated by at least me.

On another note. how different is the incubation regime form radiata? Do you also incubate artificially or leave the ova in the ground? If the latter of the two. I would be interested in knowing what sexual diversity the offspring hatch out at. Especially knowing the very limited increase to decrease in degrees in your country. I know the wet/dry seasons also may be difficult(especially if the females lay during the wet monsoon season). Anyways enough blabbing.

Ya I heard and know how the studbook system works . In fact I have a similar system in place just in case the need arise - I know of about 80 - 100 angonoka in the region ie Thailand , Singapore , both west and east Malaysia , Brunei , Indonesia and Philippine thou only some are adults.

I do breed Radiata too , all my Chelonia eggs are collected and incubated artificially with the exception of a few Local sp ie emys , elongata ..... ( would not want to risk flood by leaving the ova in the ground )

My Radiata eggs are set and forget till they hatch in 120-150days sometimes bit longer ! Different temp setting for different batches of eggs just in case they can be "Temperature Sexed "
My oldest CH Radiated are less then 4 so can't be 100% sure on the sexes (sex by visual )

Cheers

Yellow Turtle said:
emystiong said:
WC Male i have 8 to work with and more grow up to add to the gene pool ( these new male are bought as 2-3" babies years ago )

Sam, congratulations again on continuous achievement for this species.

Do you still remember how many years ago you purchase those 2-3" babies? And is there any female among them which is also ready to lay eggs?

Thanks , my first Yni ( 2-3" lot I mention above ) I bought back in 2006 /2007 .

Eggs from these young 6-8 yrs old , maybe soon like I mention a few post above ! Soon !

Cheers

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

emystiong said:
Thanks , my first Yni ( 2-3" lot I mention above ) I bought back in 2006 /2007 .

Eggs from these young 6-8 yrs old , maybe soon like I mention a few post above ! Soon !

Cheers

This is the subject of discussion in another thread, that radiata only mature and ready to lay eggs after like 20 years... While the tortoise discussed is radiata, but I think, ploughshare is similar with radiata for the mature age, and in your case, 6-8 years is enough for them to breed.

I think you should present this to most of the chelonian centers there....

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

Yellow Turtle said:
emystiong said:

Cheers

This is the subject of discussion in another thread, that radiata only mature and ready to lay eggs after like 20 years... While the tortoise discussed is radiata, but I think, ploughshare is similar with radiata for the mature age, and in your case, 6-8 years is enough for them to breed.

I think you should present this to most of the chelonian centers there....
I have read but did not bother to leave or add comment - like I say before , they can be big enough to breed in term of size but in the inside they might need a few more season but I am sure they can reproduce ( viable eggs ) in less than 10 years from hatch in Asia ( Radiata and Yniphora )

Sulcata , Indian star and a few others closer to 6 yrs from hatch !!

I am rather curious about Aldabra ( as most say 20 yrs too ) but my oldest Aldabra bought as a hatchlings only about 6-7 yrs old but touch 24" already how soon before these can reproduce ?

Cheers

Another point or points to note is that by providing artificially thru supplemented heat , uv lighting indoor are we depriving them certain "thingy" only outdoor can provide ? Or were these the thing holding them back ( in term of maturing time ) over west ?

Cheers

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

emystiong said:
I have read but did not bother to leave or add comment - like I say before , they can be big enough to breed in term of size but in the inside they might need a few more season but I am sure they can reproduce ( viable eggs ) in less than 10 years from hatch in Asia ( Radiata and Yniphora )

Sulcata , Indian star and a few others closer to 6 yrs from hatch !!

I am rather curious about Aldabra ( as most say 20 yrs too ) but my oldest Aldabra bought as a hatchlings only about 6-7 yrs old but touch 24" already how soon before these can reproduce ?

Cheers

Another point or points to note is that by providing artificially thru supplemented heat , uv lighting indoor are we depriving them certain "thingy" only outdoor can provide ? Or were these the thing holding them back ( in term of maturing time ) over west ?

Cheers

I'm curious as well for the aldabra case... I hope you can breed them much earlier than the theoretical reproductive age.

I'm not so sure whether the cold climate in the west really affect their reproductive ability, since I think I read somewhere here that a member trying to speed up breeding by accelerating growth. So for now I think size is the major factor for breeding, which I hope you can prove in the future with the aldabra.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo

Maybe I can't test out the aldabran theory as only 4 left of those I bought as hatchlings ranging from 15-24" ( May not have sexed pair out of the 4 ) let's see when the time comes .

But for yniphora from hatch till drop eggs or hatch out time frame I can do that pretty soon !!

Cheers