Plotting new Hermann's enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Due to the fact that I plan to get Jennifer a mate and likely 3 other females to share her enclosure, eventually, I've decided that almost 8' X 5' is really not big enough, so I'm planning a new one, that I'll build in the near future, possibly this coming winter, out of field stone (worked w/ a stone-mason as a youth and he taught me well! :))...besides, this part of the Republic O' Tejas has a lot of rocks...on our 200-something acres, there's probably enough big rocks to build a skyscraper, so the only build expense will be many bags of morter and a few cases of beer and an occasional bar-b-q to motivate "larger rock" moving helpers, as needed. :D

Plan to incorporate some of the great ideas I've seen on this site, but particularily a meandering stream and pond/waterfall, ala TerryO ( my wife REALLY thinks that'd be mighty snazzy! :cool: ) and the walls will be about 3' tall w/ an overhang (European torts are excellent climbers!)

OK, so keeping in mind that our fenced backyard is about 90' (w) X 200' (l), and that I can probably get away with taking up about a 1/3 of it w/o any disagreement from wife. how large should I plan it? What's, in y'all's opinion, the minimal size for 5 adult Eastern Hermann's...want it no smaller, and preferably quite a bit larger than the optimal minimum! Does larger dimensions imp0rove breeding success?

Throw me any ideas you can think of, because I want this to be one amazing tortoise-arium! :cool:

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Sounds like it will be beautiful. Send pics of your progress. I to am dreaming of a large stone pen for Tank someday. How high will the walls be? How will you get in and out? I have been trying to think of how I will get in and out without using steps that Tank would climb. Maybe some kind of sturdy gate? Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'll give the usual suggestion that you're going to hear from all of us--as big as possible!

But having said that I also think in terms of being able to keep track of and enjoy my tortoises along with giving them enough room too. So I keep 1.2 to 1.3 adults in 8' x 16' enclosures that include plenty of varied terrain, rocks, plants, daytime resting areas and a 3' x 3' roofed shelter. A enclosures also have good size tortoise greenhouses in them. They provide a warmer basking area on cool days and an excellent nesting area. The few that I've built have worked so well that all of the enclosures will eventually have them.

Even though it sounds like you have plenty of space to build on, an enclosure that is a more managable size might be a consideration once you get some mature adults in there. Based on your location, they will undoubtably easily breed and produce eggs for you. The bigger the enclosure, the more difficult it will be to catch females in the act of nesting and to find the nests afterward. Especially if you're unable to constantly look throughout the daytime as I am. Turtles inadvertently leave a scent at the nest sight in the wild, so assuming that tortoises do to any undetected nests can easily fall prey to racoons and fox. Once they're attracted to a site the adults are then in danger.

Just something to consider.

I know I've drifted off subject, but I tend have a habit of looking at the long-term, big picture of most everything!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Missy said:
Sounds like it will be beautiful. Send pics of your progress. I to am dreaming of a large stone pen for Tank someday. How high will the walls be? How will you get in and out? I have been trying to think of how I will get in and out without using steps that Tank would climb. Maybe some kind of sturdy gate? Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

I plan to use a stile, similar to the one in the picture, except not as tall...wall will be about 3'...for a sulcatta, you might go w/ a 4' wall, just to be on the safe side.

pd2381498.jpg
GBtortoises said:
I'll give the usual suggestion that you're going to hear from all of us--as big as possible!

But having said that I also think in terms of being able to keep track of and enjoy my tortoises along with giving them enough room too. So I keep 1.2 to 1.3 adults in 8' x 16' enclosures that include plenty of varied terrain, rocks, plants, daytime resting areas and a 3' x 3' roofed shelter. A enclosures also have good size tortoise greenhouses in them. They provide a warmer basking area on cool days and an excellent nesting area. The few that I've built have worked so well that all of the enclosures will eventually have them.

Even though it sounds like you have plenty of space to build on, an enclosure that is a more managable size might be a consideration once you get some mature adults in there. Based on your location, they will undoubtably easily breed and produce eggs for you. The bigger the enclosure, the more difficult it will be to catch females in the act of nesting and to find the nests afterward. Especially if you're unable to constantly look throughout the daytime as I am. Turtles inadvertently leave a scent at the nest sight in the wild, so assuming that tortoises do to any undetected nests can easily fall prey to racoons and fox. Once they're attracted to a site the adults are then in danger.

Just something to consider.

I know I've drifted off subject, but I tend have a habit of looking at the long-term, big picture of most everything!

OK, that's somewhat smaller than I'd assumed, so would a 1 to 4 male/female ratio do well in an enclosure of 10' X 24', then?

Like the idea of a green house in the enclosure! Perhaps 4' (w) X 5' (l) X 5' (t) w/ a "doggy door" ?

Thanks, GB! :)

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
I'm wondering if an inclosed green house would get to hot? Maybe one that has a glass roof but open sides? I always tought bigger is better, but maybe a more moderate size pen is best to enjoy the pets.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Modified/solidified my plans...going for 12' X 18' (really more like approx. 17' X 11" internal dimensions, as the walls will average 6" thick, so approx. 187 square feet).

Been going through all the rocks I got from digging out a new stock pond and trucking the best ones onto a pile next to the "building site"...next week, I'm taking my son and big ape nephew down to the nearest Trinity River branch for some more colorful big river rocks, as everything on my property is limestone (quite a few pieces I've found have great fossils, though...found an almost perfect nautilus about 14" across! These fossil rocks will be set aside for just the right placement, naturally. :))

About halfway between the long ends will be a mulberry tree.

The end nearest the house will get the waterfall/filter.

As soon as I get access to a scanner, I'll put the plans up for y'all's inspection/suiggestions. :cool:

flone

5 Year Member
How glorious the building progress is. And you are so kind. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.