Plexiglass filters out UVB?

Tiff

5 Year Member
Hi There,

Can anyone tell me if plexiglass filters out UVB raises like glass does. I have a closed chamber enclosure that once held my fish. I'm using a T5 14" light fixture for Amazon my yellow foot tort.

Thank you. :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
It filters out UVB, how much I'm not sure... But you should definitely try to get the plexiglass out of the way (or you can buy a UV meter and see how much is filtered) :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You have to remove those plexiglass covers. I don't even understand why they put them on there.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you have a zoomed fixture with the plastic cover you don't have to remove it . The cover is designed to let the uva/uvb pass. But in saying that the cover will diminish the uva/uvb prematurely causing you to change your lamp out more often . So by removal of said cover will save you money . I would get a meter and check your output levels weekly . It's beter safe than sorry . Make sense?

Last edited:

Tiff

5 Year Member
Thanks for the comments.

My set up for the tank is without the top that came with the tank. I have a t5 zoomed 14" uvb sitting on top of the tank and plexiglass on top of it. I was hoping to be able to place the light fixture on top of the plexiglass. I was unsure if the uvb would be filtered out I thought I would ask before switching it out. Thank you I'm glad I did not.

Another question. .. how much humidity can these t5 light fixtures take? I want to hang the light fixture completely inside the enclosure instead of having it sit on top with plexiglass on top of the light fixture.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have the same fixture and I keep my enclosure at 85%.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes. Not all of it, but enough that it isn't beneficial at all. Metal mesh tops work great, or you could make your own (not fancy with tools, so kind of hard :p ) out of small fencing and wood.