New tortoise not eating/UVB fixture

Figster45

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I just brought my little guy home yesterday. He was very active at first and then slept for like 12-14 hours. Today he seems to be trying to get out if the enclosure and napping every so often, and sticking on the cooler side which is about 76 degrees/60% humidity.

I gave him grass, collard greens, and green peppers yesterday and he hasn't touched them and even walked over them a few times. He did poo when I bathed him before putting him in the enclosure for the first time yesterday so he must have eaten recently.

My questions are is this all normal behavior for a new tortoise? Any tricks to get him to eat? And how long before I should get worried from him not eating?

I should mention that my UVB light is still shipping to me on Amazon and should be here in 2 days.

I contacted Zoomed about the T5 HO fixture that I ordered and they said they do not test these products in closed enclosures so she cant say the humidity in the closed space is okay for the fixture or not, and asked about the ventilation since the intended use is ontop of screens. Does anyone use this fixture with the T5 HO bulbs on their closed enclosure? Any issues like frequent burnt out bulbs or fixtures breaking?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20181216_181435.jpg
    20181216_181435.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

daniellenc

Maryland
All normal behavior and no worries on the bulbs they do fine in humid temps just don’t spray them!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I just brought my little guy home yesterday. He was very active at first and then slept for like 12-14 hours. Today he seems to be trying to get out if the enclosure and napping every so often, and sticking on the cooler side which is about 76 degrees/60% humidity.

I gave him grass, collard greens, and green peppers yesterday and he hasn't touched them and even walked over them a few times. He did poo when I bathed him before putting him in the enclosure for the first time yesterday so he must have eaten recently.

My questions are is this all normal behavior for a new tortoise? Any tricks to get him to eat? And how long before I should get worried from him not eating?

I should mention that my UVB light is still shipping to me on Amazon and should be here in 2 days.

I contacted Zoomed about the T5 HO fixture that I ordered and they said they do not test these products in closed enclosures so she cant say the humidity in the closed space is okay for the fixture or not, and asked about the ventilation since the intended use is ontop of screens. Does anyone use this fixture with the T5 HO bulbs on their closed enclosure? Any issues like frequent burnt out bulbs or fixtures breaking?

Thanks in advance!

A picture of how your enclosure is now set up would be helpful. So I don't know exactly, but I will say that normally a new tortoise will act like you describe, especially when not given good choices of more natural hides. In a new environment, a healthy tortoise will normally spend a good amount of time looking for a place in which it can feel secure and safe. Most people seem to have very barren enclosures compared to where any tortoise would naturally choose to stay put. They do not want to be exposed or out in the open. They push under a plant, or under a rock outcropping, bury in leaf litter, etc. I think if you put a nice potted plant in the enclosure with long overhanging fronds the tortoise can hide beneath, you will see it find that spot quite quickly. The "cooler side" of most enclosures is also the darker side. The closest your tortoise can find to where it would feel more secure. I find my tortoises act much differently when give nice plants to hide beneath and can choose their times to venture out.

I run T5 HO bulbs in enclosed chambers with absolutely no problem. The optimal operating temperature of an HO tube is about 90°. A T8 tube is about 78° So the T5 does very well in our closed chambers and the humidity is not problem as it is not condensing on the warmer surface of the bulb and fixture. I see no shortening of life of the bulb. With incandescents and Mercury vapor, and halide, it is a different story. They can overheat the enclosure and they will burn out sooner. A low wattage incandescent is a happy medium that can work for basking - but it will burn out sooner in that environment.

Figster45

Pittsburgh, PA
A picture of how your enclosure is now set up would be helpful. So I don't know exactly, but I will say that normally a new tortoise will act like you describe, especially when not given good choices of more natural hides. In a new environment, a healthy tortoise will normally spend a good amount of time looking for a place in which it can feel secure and safe. Most people seem to have very barren enclosures compared to where any tortoise would naturally choose to stay put. They do not want to be exposed or out in the open. They push under a plant, or under a rock outcropping, bury in leaf litter, etc. I think if you put a nice potted plant in the enclosure with long overhanging fronds the tortoise can hide beneath, you will see it find that spot quite quickly. The "cooler side" of most enclosures is also the darker side. The closest your tortoise can find to where it would feel more secure. I find my tortoises act much differently when give nice plants to hide beneath and can choose their times to venture out.

I run T5 HO bulbs in enclosed chambers with absolutely no problem. The optimal operating temperature of an HO tube is about 90°. A T8 tube is about 78° So the T5 does very well in our closed chambers and the humidity is not problem as it is not condensing on the warmer surface of the bulb and fixture. I see no shortening of life of the bulb. With incandescents and Mercury vapor, and halide, it is a different story. They can overheat the enclosure and they will burn out sooner. A low wattage incandescent is a happy medium that can work for basking - but it will burn out sooner in that environment.

Okay that is a relieving. My enclosure should be built within the next 4 or 5 weeks so I am keeping him in this 4x2 storage tote covered with the lid and foil until then. I'm not sure how to add a picture in the text so I've added the file below. He did everything you described mainly yesterday and still doing a lot of sleeping today. Maybe hes catching up from the days of travel or just a sleepy tortoise ha, but how long would you say he might start to eat or I should be concerned hes not eating?

And good to hear about the T5! Because at that price I'm hoping they last some time.

Attachments

• 20181217_191654.jpg
    20181217_191654.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I always feed mine right after their bath. I do bathe with a starting temp of 95° and refresh water if it drops below 85°. Water depth up to where their costals meet the marginals. So they are at a good body temp and active when done with a 30+ minute bath and have pooped as well. They will immediately eat when put back in the enclosure once used to this routine. I would expect a new tortoise that has been eating well previously to do so within a few days at most.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Do you know how long this tortoise has been in captivity?