Please reply someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Posted this thread earlier 10 people have looked at it but no1 has replied, can someone please just answer me these questions?

Crush my hermann tortoise just had a wee.... its not the first time but just thought i would ask to find out...
A white thing is floating in his wee.. WHY?
and why does he eat his poo? is that normal?

got him on the carpet at the moment he is having a good sniff and eating my pyjarmas rather than his rocket, he reminds me of a hoover when he sniffs the floor lol

thnks x

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Kymiie,

It may be that the "white thing" is urates, which is normal....but I'm not sure with your description which may be why no one responded. Is it really floating or just amidst the urine? Is it worm-like or is it a small blob? See - we can't really answer the question with any certainty and it would, in my opinion, be irresponsible to definitely respond to your question without knowing more. If you could take a picture that would help. Many tortoises eat their poo....I don't think we know for certain why they do that. I would suggest that you not put your tortoise on the carpet simply because he is acting like a hoover and could ingest something that might cause an impaction. What is "his rocket?"

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
katesgoey said:
Kymiie,

It may be that the "white thing" is urates, which is normal....but I'm not sure with your description which may be why no one responded. Is it really floating or just amidst the urine? Is it worm-like or is it a small blob? See - we can't really answer the question with any certainty and it would, in my opinion, be irresponsible to definitely respond to your question without knowing more. If you could take a picture that would help. Many tortoises eat their poo....I don't think we know for certain why they do that. I would suggest that you not put your tortoise on the carpet simply because he is acting like a hoover and could ingest something that might cause an impaction. What is "his rocket?"

It is just a white blob, i asked a tortoise sanctuary and they said it was a good thing to see it and that it is normal but other opinions are good to know, hes a healthy tortoise so nothing is wrong with him i just wanted to know, then a different tortoise sanctuary told me that eating his poo was bad, something to do with his gut! No photo as im not around to see his we as i just had him out and he happened to have one (cheeky fella) Oh gosh no lol hes only 4 i watch him 24/7 he doesnt eat anything just i think he was hungry so he ate my pyjarmas them i gave him some rocket ( its a leaf) that i feed him once in a while.

Thanks xxx

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Kymiie,

It's good that you "just wanted to know" but your post led me to believe you had no clue and you were panicking about no response and pleading for one- it would have been good for you to include the tortoise sanctuary information you already had. Thanks for filling me in on what a "rocket" is.

Kymiie said:
katesgoey said:
Kymiie,

It is just a white blob, i asked a tortoise sanctuary and they said it was a good thing to see it and that it is normal but other opinions are good to know, hes a healthy tortoise so nothing is wrong with him i just wanted to know, then a different tortoise sanctuary told me that eating his poo was bad, something to do with his gut! No photo as im not around to see his we as i just had him out and he happened to have one (cheeky fella) Oh gosh no lol hes only 4 i watch him 24/7 he doesnt eat anything just i think he was hungry so he ate my pyjarmas them i gave him some rocket ( its a leaf) that i feed him once in a while.

Thanks xxx

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kymiie, urates are a normal thing for torts it is a way for them to rid their bodies of urates. If a tort is dehydrated those can turn into stones like kidney or badder stones and cause much trouble or even death. So its a good thing if they are gray or gritty it is a sign he is getting or is dehydrated. But yours sounds normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.