Please ID WC or CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
I have been told by photo ID once before in this forum ages ago that this Russian is a Wild Caught.
It was sold to me as a CB.

Since someone got a Russian I fell in love and have spent the last 4 months looking for another/more.
Since 1971 it has been Illegal to import Any Tortoises or Tort eggs into Canada.
As you might imagine, it is nearly impossible for me to locate a Canadian breeder, or any adults for sale.
I started looking at importing a CB from the States(this is when I found out it was illegal to import them).
Now I am very curious what other people think this tort is.
He do not really mind which it is, he is still awesome.

If it is WC, please remember he belongs to a friend of a friend of a friend who I do not know.;)

DSC_0079.jpg

P1240119.jpg

P1240115.jpg

P1240118.jpg

I look at these pics and go, good riddens to the sand, no wonder it itched his eyes look at it everywhere!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
WC for sure. 1000%. He's probably between 7-11yrs old at least. Russians are usually wild caught, and only in recent years are really sold CB now.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
WC for sure. 1000%. He's probably between 7-11yrs old at least. Russians are usually wild caught, and only in recent years are really sold CB now.

Good thing I have NOO clue where it lives.

What do you look for to tell them apart? I can not find good comparison shots on Google.

This is NOT my tortoise.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Just because it is illegal to import WC tortoises and eggs, doesn't mean that WC tortoises from BEFORE 1971 are now illegal. At least that is not how it works here. That would mean anyone that ever had a tortoise that was once a WC is now breaking the law. They would basically have to track down, confiscate and destroy all those tortoises. Do you really think they are going to do that?

Tortoises live a LONG time. It is absolutely not unreasonable to believe that Russian has been in your country since before 1971.

As long as YOU yourself did not break the law by importing a tortoise, I doubt you have anything to worry about. Canada isn't a police state as far as I know, lol. Relax.

Kristina

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Just because it is illegal to import WC tortoises and eggs, doesn't mean that WC tortoises from BEFORE 1971 are now illegal. At least that is not how it works here. That would mean anyone that ever had a tortoise that was once a WC is now breaking the law. They would basically have to track down, confiscate and destroy all those tortoises. Do you really think they are going to do that?

Tortoises live a LONG time. It is absolutely not unreasonable to believe that Russian has been in your country since before 1971.

As long as YOU yourself did not break the law by importing a tortoise, I doubt you have anything to worry about. Canada isn't a police state as far as I know, lol. Relax.

Kristina

lol, yeh I half am in jest.
But Meg said its 7-11 yrs old.
Ill go with 47 tho, he is just a wee lad.

And I will say, I am willing to pay big for a Canadian proven Breeder female or 2, I would love nothing more to help open this awesome tort up to Canadians.
So if you know any one up here! I would even be willing to partake in a stud out to any adult female with a tri monthly stay.

Far as I can see, We have Sullys and Leos up here that are CB

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I think we're getting our wires crossed on imported---did you mean imported TO Canada? They still import WC Russians by the hundreds every year. If your friend got him from a shop, or even from someone else, its logical to think that THEY got it from a shop at some point. Shops have licenses to get imported animals.

But that growth is too ridged to be CB. The grooves are from droughts and hard times (what a vet told me). He looks pretty "worn" in too. CB torts look much fresher, and the color of their shells is usually lighter, more yellow. Emphasis on usually.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They import hundreds (actually more like thousands) of Russians to the US every year - but not to Canada. That is what the OP is saying. It is against Canada's laws.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
I am under the understanding that it is 100% illegal to import any Torts regardless of who you are.
I have contacted a few agencies in Canada and none have suggested I find someone who can import them, or gave hint to anyone at all importing them.
Never seen them in any pet stores here too(well thankfully).

From the Isell ad above:
I read this as a scam.
She was advertising on a Toronto classified section.
If she was as reputable as she says she is she would hopefully know she can not import them to Toronto...
My search continues!

------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Thanks for your inquiry and We do appreciate your interest in our
Tortoises and we want to assure you that we will give you all the support and favor to ensure you become a proud owner of any of them as you desire.
We are a licensed reptile enthusiast family from Middlesbrough, England in U.K, We keep and studies tortoises and turtles as a hobby and we have the proper licenses and permit to ship them to any
location.

We operate as a breeding facility for various indigenous and exotic tortoises and turtles in order to supply quality captive reptiles.

-Russian tortoises: $250 each and $450 for a pair.

They are of the age range between 3-5 years, 9 years, 16 years and
above for the adults.
What sexes you are interested in, How many of them you will be
ordering, When do you want shipment to be done?

We have a full satisfaction guarantee on all our reptiles, and great
low prices on animal shipping as well.
We do offer Cites regulation papers, Authorized Sales
Guarantee/Contract and a legalized Sales Invoice all from the ministry
before any purchase go into effect to ensure a Money Back Guarantee.

NB: Discounted prices to be given on all bulk purchases.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.