Please I need help with hatchling ! please!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

armandolugaro

5 Year Member
RSCN6774.JPGRSCN6774.JPGRSCN6774.JPGRSCN6774.JPGRSCN6774.JPGRSCN6774.JPGRSCN6774.JPGRSCN6774.JPGHi my name is Armando I live in Puerto Rico (in the caribbean sea)

I have had tortoises since I was a little kid but I had never had a hatchling. And on top of that I grew up thinking that grown tortoises could live in Puerto Rico and lay eggs but they would never hatch.

Now it's been some years since I put the couple the female(12 inches) and the male(16 inches) outside in a perfect and really spaceful habitat for them. I saw that the female had laid some eggs. So like always I paid no attention to them but I never knew that these would hatch. yey now i have a little hatchling! Which I have named Conan. He's about two inches.

He or she is 5 days old and I am really worrying about the form in which his yolk sac is being absorbed. He seems to be doing fine and when he isn't sleeping he is active and alert, he even shows interest for greens, but his yolk sac doesn't look fine it smells a little and it seems to have i dont know what. Please I really want these hatchling to live and grow big like his father but I really don't know what to do. Could someone with some experience please tell me what could I do? I was thinking of may be putting some betadine or something else in the area since I don't know if it is infection.
Here's a picture!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Im not as experienced with seeing the yolk get absorbed but My guy had something like that for a long while and it just went away. Im pretty sure its normal. the part that concerns me is the dark part but well see what others say. someone will give you a better answer.

welcome to the forum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Armondo:

My first thought was that it is ok and nothing to worry about, however, a picture really doesn't tell us the true picture. It might help if you were to put a bit of antibiotic ointment on it while it absorbs.

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ive never seen one exactly like that but Im sure it will heal fine. Keep that little guy in a very moist, humid environment and I think that will help

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Hello and welcome. cool little surprise!

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
First welcome to the forum, second congrats on your little friend and finally, I would follow Yvonne's advice and put some antibiotic on it. Post some more pictures in a few days and keep us posted please.. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Very nice surprise you got. I hope all goes well with him/her. BTW, was there more then one? Keep us posted.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!! I don't have hatchling experience but you came to the right place for advice!

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
How long do yolk sacs normally take to absorb? What does it look like after it's gone?

emmalaub

5 Year Member
Atra42o said:
How long do yolk sacs normally take to absorb? What does it look like after it's gone?

what type of tortoise do u have

Status
Not open for further replies.