PLEASE HELP!!!

JessicaWesley

Location (City and/or State)
Cairo
My tortoise can't open both his eyes, one of them is swollen, I tried warm and clod water but he still can't open them, please tell me what should I do asap I'm super worried.

JessicaWesley

Cairo
My tortoise has one swollen eye and he can't open it at all, I tried warm water but it didn't work, please if you know anything about this help me asap.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The first thing we need to know is what species of tortoise is it, and how old it is. Hatchling, juvenile, or adult?
A couple pictures of his face and eyes would help too.

In the meantime, what kind of UVB light are you using? Does it screw in or is it a straight tube light? If it screws in, is it a mercury vapor bulb, or is it a curly type of bulb?

If it's a curly bulb, turn it off for now.

Answer these questions, and we'll be able to go on to more possibilities.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Are you using any kind of light bulbs in the enclosure? Id turn off any BRIGHT lights that you have Until we determine whats causing the damage.

✅ Try to take pix of the BULBS that you are using. Often times, ppl are using CFL florescent bulbs that have been known to cause damage.

Soak in nice WARM water....no bright lights. Never cold water...

Some pictures of your TORT & the enclosure would be helpful.

JessicaWesley

Cairo
I don't use any bulbs, unfortunately where I live they don't provide any of these stuff for tortoises, but I will follow these instructions, thank you so much I appreciate it!

JessicaWesley

Cairo
The first thing we need to know is what species of tortoise is it, and how old it is. Hatchling, juvenile, or adult?

In the meantime, what kind of UVB light are you using? Does it screw in or is it a straight tube light? If it screws in, is it a mercury vapor bulb, or is it a curly type of bulb?

He's an Egyptian tortoise, I'm not sure of his age but I guess a juvenile, unfortunately where I live does not provide UV light or bulbs for tortoises so he just walks around the house, I looked for these stuff in so many places but couldn't find any, he's been with me for 6 years now. 1587216057552-681455535.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to say, Jessica, your tortoise is going to die unless you provide what he needs to live. And, being a cold blooded animal, he needs for you to provide him with the external heat he needs in order to warm up his inner core. I know it's hot in your country, however, the tortoise is in the house, and not outside under the hot sun. He's getting no UVB that the sun provides if he were living outside. He needs a light to be able to sit under and warm up his ineer core. No matter where you live in the world, you certainly CAN find the supplies your tortoise needs to live and thrive. You may not have pet stores that sell what you need, but you CAN buy the correct supplies online. We're not going to be able to help you unless you relent and buy the supplies you need to make your tortoise well. I looked on Google to see if people in Egypt can shop at Amazon, and here's what I found:

Can I buy from Amazon in Egypt?
According to Borderlinx records, Amazon.com is one of Egypt's favorite overseas retailer, and for good reason. You can get almost anything on Amazon.com and ship it to Egypt through Borderlinx. You can buy from the USA on Amazon.com: dvds, books, the kindle, toys, headphones or clothing, jewelry and kitchenware.

Living in your house for the last six years, wandering around on the floor without a dedicated enclosure with lights and heat, had led to him being very sick. A lot of the equipment you need for your tortoise can be bought at home improvement stores, hardware stores.

Please read the care sheet and buy what your tortoise needs to live.

JessicaWesley

Cairo
I'm sorry to say, Jessica, your tortoise is going to die unless you provide what he needs to live. And, being a cold blooded animal, he needs for you to provide him with the external heat he needs in order to warm up his inner core. I know it's hot in your country, however, the tortoise is in the house, and not outside under the hot sun. He's getting no UVB that the sun provides if he were living outside. He needs a light to be able to sit under and warm up his ineer core. No matter where you live in the world, you certainly CAN find the supplies your tortoise needs to live and thrive. You may not have pet stores that sell what you need, but you CAN buy the correct supplies online. We're not going to be able to help you unless you relent and buy the supplies you need to make your tortoise well. I looked on Google to see if people in Egypt can shop at Amazon, and here's what I found:

Can I buy from Amazon in Egypt?
According to Borderlinx records, Amazon.com is one of Egypt's favorite overseas retailer, and for good reason. You can get almost anything on Amazon.com and ship it to Egypt through Borderlinx. You can buy from the USA on Amazon.com: dvds, books, the kindle, toys, headphones or clothing, jewelry and kitchenware.

Living in your house for the last six years, wandering around on the floor without a dedicated enclosure with lights and heat, had led to him being very sick. A lot of the equipment you need for your tortoise can be bought at home improvement stores, hardware stores.

Please read the care sheet and buy what your tortoise needs to live.

I'll make sure to do what I can, thank you so so much for the warning, I'll try my best, I contacted a vet and I'll take him tomorrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most vets know nothing about tortoise care, and most of them will do more harm than good. Don't let the vet give your tortoise any "vitamin injections" and don't let the vet give injectable Baytril. If the vet offers either of these then you will know that he she knows nothing about tortoises, and is reading from a vet handbook or website.

Your tortoise needs a proper enclosure with heat lamps, and it also needs a safe outdoor enclosure so it can get sun, grazing, and exercise, but also lots of shade.

Here is some care info for Russian tortoises. Care and diet is very similar for Egyptian tortoises.