Please help STAT! (Straining to pass stool)

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi friends!

I could use some advice if you have any.

Zeus is now acting like his old self. He's never been an active guy, but he basks and eats like before.

I got the results from his fecal test. They show pinworms (greater than 30). The vet said I could consider panacur, but that some torts are just fine with pinworms. The decision is mine.

I read a post by Deadhead Vet that said he does not treat pinworms. What do you guys think?

Thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's not a problem I've experienced. Indeed, I don't know if my wild caught tortoise or the others I help care for here have parasites as they've never been tested for them.
But the general impression i get from the many posts on the subject I've read is what deadheadvet said, i would only treat if it becomes a problem and large numbers of worms can clearly be seen in the poop. Just my opinion.
So very glad that Zeus seems to be recovering and is back to normal. :):<3::tort:

Kasia

Poland
Hi friends!

Zeus is now acting like his old self. He's never been an active guy, but he basks and eats like before.

I got the results from his fecal test. They show pinworms (greater than 30). The vet said I could consider panacur, but that some torts are just fine with pinworms. The decision is mine.

I read a post by Deadhead Vet that said he does not treat pinworms. What do you guys think?

Thank you!
If he eats fine and gains weight you don't need to. From mine expirience if the infestation is heavy you notice very quickly lack of apetite/not eating at all and/or weight loss/no weight gain if his little like your Zeus.

I feed weeds from the field near by my house and I deworm at least one of my torts during summer every year due the symptoms. Either that or I would have to buy all the food from the store.

I never noticed any side effects from panacur. Mine torts get well very quickly after it and I don't find it harmful in comparison to e.g. metronidazole/Flagyl you was ready to use.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi friends!

Thank you!
I agree that pinworms are not necessarily bad. Some of the most recent research shows they indeed may be considered beneficial gut flora in "normal" numbers. The tend to aid in digestion and the breakdown of fibers in the diet. However, since they are a direct cycle parasite, they can build up to levels that can become harmful. Direct cycle means that the worms lay eggs which then are present in the enclosure and water. The tortoise can eat those eggs along with its food and then reintroduce more pinworms. In the wild, roaming about and not using the same water dish to also poop in, the eggs never have a chance to build up to dangerous levels. In a captive enclosure - that is a different story. Especially if there is a group of tortoises. If numbers were to build up to unnatural levels, it can lead to health issues such as loss of appetite and weight as well as sometimes pose an impaction risk.

So, I would not automatically treat for pinworms simply because they are present. I would weigh my tortoise regularly and watch to see it's gaining consistently, if young and growing, or if adult, at least maintaining a healthy weight. A monthly record of weight is a valuable monitoring tool for any tortoise.

Panacur (Fenbendazole) is the drug of choice for treatment if you decide to treat. It has an extremely wide range of safety. In tests it shows no detrimental effects even at absurdly high doses. So it is a "safe" drug to use for this. However, it also will kill off other beneficial gut flora which the tortoise needs for proper digestion. As heavy grazers, with high fiber needs, the gut flora is extremely important. So I would also recommend a probiotic added to food after treatment.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you-- this input is so very helpful.

I'm thinking I may treat Zeus, as he has always been slow to gain weight. And I would hate for him to get sick (again).

But now I need to decide what to do with my other babies in the same enclosure.....
And cleaning out the enclosure.... that's a lot of coconut coir!

The thought about a probiotic is good too. Thank you!