Please help me identify our new foster tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I picked up our newest Greek foster tortoise today. He was relinquished to International Reptile Rescue by a woman who bought him at a garage sale, just to rescue him. She actually brought him to the vet to be treated for pneumonia and worms, and kept him in a decent sized enclosure, although it was too chilly (max temp was 80ish). I will be caring for him for a few months.

I was hoping that someone on here could help me identify him. He has a very dark color, kind of a dark slate grey, with some black in the new growth. Here are some pics (click on them to see the large version):
top view.JPGside.JPGplastron.JPGface.JPGwalking around.JPG

A brief health assessment, for those who are interested. He is definitely male (concave plastron, long tail with slit vent), and is exactly 6 inches (15.25cm) long, and weighs 638g. This means his Jackson's ratio is 0.18, meaning he is within the healthy range, but a little on the light side. He seems a bit dehyrdated. He had a big water dish in his tank at his old home, but wasn't soaked regularly. Will soak every day in warm water for 2 or so weeks.

His nares are dry, his eyes are bright (a little sunken from dehydration?), although on one eye, he has some crusty skin buildup on his 'brow' - will watch that, since this can be associated with vitA overdose. His claws are pretty normal, maybe a little long in the back. I put a flat rock in his enclosure for him to walk over, to wear them down. His beak is a little overgrown, but not terribly so - will leave it alone while he adjusts.

His shell isn't in great condition, but overall ok. He has some asymmetric growth, some scutes peeling, and mild pyramiding, probably older. A few dings and scratches, to be expected from a wild-caught specimen. No signs of shell rot or other fungal damage. Plastron is in great condition.

I'd assess his activity as normal tortoise behavior - he struggles when I pick him up, but is fairly social, and he wriggled when I put him on his back. He walks normally.

Just until I have gotten an idea for his fecal consistency etc I have him on newspaper, and then will switch to something more suitable (coco coir).

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hey, there. Wow, thanks for the pix and the informative post. Of course, I would expect no less from a biochem nerd. ;) Looks like your little guy is doing okay, and as you mentioned, whatever health problems he may have appear minor.

Judging by how dark your Greek tortoise is, he's probably from one of the northern subspecies, and probably from a high-altitude population. A dark body warms up faster in the sun, so it's thought that these "black Greeks" have that color as an adaptation for living in a colder climate.

So, your little guy probably belongs to Testudo graeca ibera. He could belong to one of the other northern subspecies with high-altitude populations, although these are rarer (T. graeca nikolskii, T. graeca armeniaca, and T. graeca zarydnyi).

This is good news, because the Ibera Greek is considered hardier than its southern cousins (T. graeca terrestris or T. graeca floweri) - on a par with eastern Hermanns and Russians - and therefore more likely to thrive in captivity. Your new tortoise may need some TLC to get back into tiptop shape, but it shouldn't be too hard with the right environment, and it sounds like you know how to provide that. :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
This little guy is so funny. In his maniacal effort to explore he whole new environment, he RAN all over the tank all day, climbing onto everything. He flipped himself over 6 times in the course of the day. That is more than all my other tortoises combined. I finally took out any climbing obstacles until he settles in a little more.
He ate a little again, even sat in his water dish for a little bit. For the most part, he was busy all day running a half marathon.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Neat looking shell on that guy he does look like a Ibera greek to me but anyway he's very pretty.Maybe a beak trimming other wise nice..

Status
Not open for further replies.