Identify this Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
We picked up the Greek that has lived in a 14" square glass cage at Animart for the past several months. This is my month for rescues, I guess! (I swear, no more! LOL!) My son bought him, actually. He was listed as a Golden, but I know that's not right!

I have him in the Christmas tree tote, and just the look he gave when he saw all that room... He's shy but he is so enjoying being able to MOVE around!!!! Anyways I've only thrown the basics in his enclosure until you guys can help identify him and then let me know what kind of envirnment will be best for him! LOL!

He has a spot on his shell that is a little rough (you can see in pics) but otherwise he seems in pretty good shape considering the circumstances! Oh it was so funny, I said he was shy, but he IS curious, and when I had my camera in there, he wanted to check it out so he walked up to it with his head totally pulled into his shell! ROFL!

Anyways, here he is... I'm including a plastron shot, but I'm pretty sure he's male based on what I've read on identifying their gender. Tell me I'm right! LOL!

103_3927.jpg

103_3929.jpg

103_3930.jpg

S

stells

i'm going to have a guess so don't hold me to it but it looks like Testudo graeca Ibera (turkish greek) to me probably totally wrong lol.
DANNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYY

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Kelly he's from the Jordan/Israel area. As of yet it hasn't been described, so it would be Testudo graeca ssp.
He looks good :D
You were close Kelly xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny

S

stells

egyptiandan said:
Kelly he's from the Jordan/Israel area. As of yet it hasn't been described, so it would be Testudo graeca ssp.
He looks good :D
You were close Kelly xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny

so close but yet so far away :( lol

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
So what kind of envirnment should I set him up... similar to the Russians? Temps? Night temps, how low can they go?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes very similar to Russians Kelly. They can get down to 60F no problem.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay last question (for now, anyway)... How big do these guys generally get??? And how quickly do they grow? Dozer (my son finally named him) is about 5" right now (guesstimate, I will measure him properly in a couple of days).

This is a really laid back fellow (so far). Is this characteristic of this type of Tortoise?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He's basicly adult size Kelly, he might get a bit bigger. My males are that size or smaller and my egg laying females are 6 to 6.5 inches.
He's probably just settling in as mine are nuts, full of energy and almost never still.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.