Please help if you can, not sure what is wrong.

Thomas7

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hey guys, got a question about a RES.
My res has been doing great in his tank, it's 125 gallon, 2 fx6 filters, and a 25 watt uv sterilizer. Recently however he has been showing extreme signs of stress such as frantically swimming around, trying to use his dock to look for a escape and digging under rocks. Seems like he is looking to get out of his tank which is a behavior he never exhibited before.
The tank parameters are as perfect as I can get, no ammonia or nitrites, nitrates are kept very low with water changes. Uvb, uva are freshly changed. Not sure why he is stressing out, does anyone have any experience with this or how to calm him down?
( he was recently taking to the vet as well, had blood ran, x-ray, ultrasound done - all fine and very healthy)

Thomas7

Ohio
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
I don't know anything about RES's, but I'll tag a couple members for you.

@Markw84
@Yvonne G
@turtlesteve
Thank you I appreciate it, I have done everything possible for my turtle and I have no clue what is causing this sudden change in behavior, as we speak right now he is on his dock trying to "climb" the glass, he is unable to get out due to tank height but his behavior is frantic and he is almost hurting himself with his frantic behavior.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Can you post a couple pictures of the turtle and tank? Is your turtle an adult or juvenile? If adult, male or female?

Steve

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Does he have any plants in his new tank? Maybe he's feeling too exposed? And you could try taping paper onto the tank so he can't see out.

By any chance have you ever put him on the floor and let him walk around the area surrounding the cage? If yes, now he knows there's a fun world that he wants to get to.

I haven't seen your enclosure, so can't offer specific suggestions, but maybe try moving 1 piece of cage furniture a little bit. You don't want to totally redecorate, but just a bit of relocation of objects...you never know, it might help. Make sure he's warm enough. Look and listen nearby his enclosure...is there anything that might be scaring him?

I'm out of ideas..I hope you can figure out why he's so distressed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You keep saying "he", but is it possible this is a female? They get that way when looking to get out and find a nesting site. Doesn't matter if she's not been with a male.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Are you sure it's a male? Sounds like a female who needs to nest.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I agree that Yvonne G is likely correct. Everything the OP offered up showed this to be a real possibility. Water turtles, with no suitable egg-laying place will often drop the eggs in the water, suffocating them. It is also correct that she will lay the eggs whether fertilized or not.

good luck!

Thomas7

Ohio
Can you post a couple pictures of the turtle and tank? Is your turtle an adult or juvenile? If adult, male or female?

Steve
Hey Steve, he is a male have had him for quite a few years. I will get some photos later tonight.

Thomas7

Ohio
You keep saying "he", but is it possible this is a female? They get that way when looking to get out and find a nesting site. Doesn't matter if she's not been with a male.
Yes he is a make had him for 15 years no, I suspected he was a male for as long as I had him, long claws long tail. The vet I bring him to for checkups confirmed he is a male year's ago, and all his charts are consistent with being labeled as a male.

I appreciate the comment though, j have no clue what is going on

Thomas7

Ohio
Does he have any plants in his new tank? Maybe he's feeling too exposed? And you could try taping paper onto the tank so he can't see out.

By any chance have you ever put him on the floor and let him walk around the area surrounding the cage? If yes, now he knows there's a fun world that he wants to get to.

I haven't seen your enclosure, so can't offer specific suggestions, but maybe try moving 1 piece of cage furniture a little bit. You don't want to totally redecorate, but just a bit of relocation of objects...you never know, it might help. Make sure he's warm enough. Look and listen nearby his enclosure...is there anything that might be scaring him?

I'm out of ideas..I hope you can figure out why he's so distressed.
Nothing distressing near his tank, his tank is kept in my bedroom so he is close to me at most times as he is very social. He has been in this tank for a few years which makes it so strange. I am going to try to purchase some new decor for him (nothing crazy) and see if the new addition spikes his interest however I am fearful it will stress him more.

I thought of putting a sheet over the tank or tapping it up but could it result in more stress?

He has not been out of the rank except to go to the vet but being put in a large container and driving for a hr probably wasn't fun for him lol.

Thomas7

Ohio
I agree that Yvonne G is likely correct. Everything the OP offered up showed this to be a real possibility. Water turtles, with no suitable egg-laying place will often drop the eggs in the water, suffocating them. It is also correct that she will lay the eggs whether fertilized or not.

good luck!
Thank you for the reply however he is a make I wish it was such a easy fix.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey! I really appreciate the comment however he is 100% a male
Have you changed your UVB light recently? Maybe you've got a defective lamp that's too strong or something?

Thomas7

Ohio
Have you changed your UVB light recently? Maybe you've got a defective lamp that's too strong or something?
Yeah freshly changed, doesn't it was actually changed while he was stressing out, he was acting this way when there was the old bulb in, it wasnt due for changing but changed it anyway just in case.

Thomas7

Ohio
I really appreciate the replys though, from you and everyone. I know I keep saying "Already tried that" lol but honestly I have tried everything and more that I could think of, I just dont understand what is going wrong.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Not sure what to suggest. Maybe the photos will provide hints. Sometimes adult males get hyperactive if they are “in the mood”, normally see this with tortoises but water turtles sometimes do it. Has he just reached sexual maturity?

Another thing is enclosure size, if he is specifically clawing at the walls all the time, a larger tank might be in order…

Thomas7

Ohio
Not sure what to suggest. Maybe the photos will provide hints. Sometimes adult males get hyperactive if they are “in the mood”, normally see this with tortoises but water turtles sometimes do it. Has he just reached sexual maturity?

Another thing is enclosure size, if he is specifically clawing at the walls all the time, a larger tank might be in order…
He is in a 125 gallon and is 15 years old. Has never behaved like this before and honestly I'm not too sure what to do, it's just stressful watching him freak out. Trying to do anything I can.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He is in a 125 gallon and is 15 years old. Has never behaved like this before and honestly I'm not too sure what to do, it's just stressful watching him freak out. Trying to do anything I can.
I'm not sure what could be going on but I do understand your frustration.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Red ears just don't do well in tanks long term. They need plenty of room and open water. I wouldn't even keep one in a 500 gallon tank. It is normal for the sliders to get restless and look for a new and larger place. Even in a pond setting, if it is fairly small, they can get the urge to set out to find a new home. They do that in the wild if the place they inhabit is a bit crowded or starts to dry up and shrink. It's also getting to the time of year they start thinking more about finding a mate. Setting out to find a new location is also driven by that.

Sounds like your turtle is telling you he's not happy there. Its actually a sign he's quite healthy as opposed to many who simply give up and lose their natural instincts.