Please help. (black spot on leg)

gomeznevis

Location (City and/or State)
Davenport
I am new to the tortoise world this little cutie showed up at our doorstep thinking it was an acorn we almost threw it out until it moved we have taken it in but few days down the road we found that it had this black mark on its leg can anybody shed some light help us out on what we should do any advice is greatly appreciated or at least point us in the right direction
Thank you very much in advance for your help

Attachments

• 20231220_192644.jpg
    20231220_192644.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231220_192711.jpg
    20231220_192711.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231220_192726.jpg
    20231220_192726.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 3

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Tom or @Yvonne G should be able to help you. What is the temperature and lighting for the enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can't tell by the pic what the black is
Can he walk okay?
Where are you located? I only know of Davenport Iowa.
How are you keeping him now? He needs to stay warm, at least 80F with basking of 95-100 and a uvb tube fluorescent.
I'm not sure if it's species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am new to the tortoise world this little cutie showed up at our doorstep thinking it was an acorn we almost threw it out until it moved we have taken it in but few days down the road we found that it had this black mark on its leg can anybody shed some light help us out on what we should do any advice is greatly appreciated or at least point us in the right direction
Thank you very much in advance for your help
Looks like an injury from a cat bite or possible an infected spider bite with necrosis. I'd take him to a vet for that part.

Here is the correct care info:

gomeznevis

Davenport
Can't tell by the pic what the black is
Can he walk okay?
Where are you located? I only know of Davenport Iowa.
How are you keeping him now? He needs to stay warm, at least 80F with basking of 95-100 and a uvb tube fluorescent.
I'm not sure if it's species.
Davenport Florida yes he walks but that leg always retracted it moves but seldom used we are using triple anti biotic

gomeznevis

Davenport
Looks like an injury from a cat bite or possible an infected spider bite with necrosis. I'd take him to a vet for that part.

Here is the correct care info:

Thanks for the advice will do, we have her in a box should we have some kind of heat source, she's very small does she drink water, how often do they eat what should we feed her

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm also thinking Gopher tortoise, I see a nuchal scute. I would definitely speak with game and wildlife and/or look into conservation/rehabilitation groups.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm thinking it's a gopher tortoise which may be protected and illegal to own.
@ZEROPILOT am I correct on this?
I think it may need to be turned over to game and wildlife?
The laws are always in Flux
But to the best of my knowledge you need a permit to even possess a Gopherus. And yes. He or she is probably one.
There is a county sponsored park here in Broward (in Tamarac) that takes in indigenous tortoises that cannot for whatever reason be released where they were found. It's where I took the spray painted male I found walking through a gas station off of a busy street with no grass or even a tree in sight.
My suggestion would be to call or Email anonymously your local wildlife district and see what they have to say.
It's tricky. And many times releasing a tortoise that's been in captivity is a really bad idea. And releasing a tortoise somewhere other than where it was found is even more of a bad idea.
We want to help. But there's often not much we can do legally or ethically. So as cruel as it sounds. And as cold hearted as it would feel, just ignoring them is best in almost every situation.
My guess is that a neighborhood cat dropped this off at your door after the cat grew tired of its conquest.
But that means the very nearby, others also recently hatched out. So they must be close by.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a bird peck. Chances are a raven or crow picked up this baby trying to eat it, and he dropped it on the cement near your house trying to crack open the shell. (gopher tortoises are protected by law in Florida)

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
It's a bird peck. Chances are a raven or crow picked up this baby trying to eat it, and he dropped it on the cement near your house trying to crack open the shell. (gopher tortoises are protected by law in Florida)
Ravens/Crows are famous for dropping prey. Florida laws be damned, That little guy would be my new tort, for life. I know a bunch of laws say you can't but have you ever Jay Walked? That's what I thought.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am very guilty of doing what I like and sometimes it's kinda not acceptable. Example...illegal to own gopher torts...but please don't call DFG...they will euthanize the torts to protect the wild population from whatever disease they contracted from the private sector. I would keep my possession of that gopher tortoise very quiet and give it a great home without photos...lol

Reactions: Ink

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I am very guilty of doing what I like and sometimes it's kinda not acceptable. Example...illegal to own gopher torts...but please don't call DFG...they will euthanize the torts to protect the wild population from whatever disease they contracted from the private sector. I would keep my possession of that gopher tortoise very quiet and give it a great home without photos...lol
100% Right ... We care so much we have to kill it. My late grandmother always said "I hope they never find Bigfoot, they'll just kill it. Of course for study."

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is a very controversial subject. But yeah. Some laws...ugh. 😫