please help baby leopard umbilical and belly development

Haley805

Location (City and/or State)
California
I just joined this website and wanted to get a few answers about my baby leopard tort. I think hes about 5 months old.... under on his belly where his umbilical cord is drying his belly has large indentations. The lady i bought him from said that was normal and he's just developing and it will eventually fuse together. Anyone seen this before or has any feedback i would really appreciate!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Haley805

California
Does this look normal?? There are 2 larger indentations in his belly. Lady i purchased from said it was but i want to make sure.
20150512_200645.jpg 20150512_200633.jpg

Attachments

• 20150512_200601.jpg
    20150512_200601.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
So tiny. I have never had a hatchling that new, so I don't know. He is absolutely adorable though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is still a brand new baby. Notice the "wrinkle" across the middle from side to side? That's where he was folded semi in half inside the egg. All of this will smooth out as he grows. It is a little bit crooked, and I've really not seen that before, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Be sure to read the leopard tortoise care sheet pinned at the top of our leopard section. Also there's a very valuable article on beginner mistakes here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Haley805

California
I purchased from a lady in Carpenteria, California. She seemed very knowledgeable and has the parents on her premises. She has been doing this for awhile and has had the parents for 15~20 years.
I've had him for a few weeks now and he seems to be doing great. Eating, drinking and stools are regular. His indoor habit is ideal for a hatching of his size. With proper lighting, heat and humidity. He has a heat cave he loves to nap in and different substrates to roam in. He also gets calcium sprinkles on his food once per week