Please give advice!! (on brumation)

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
You might want to reach out to Yvonne, a mod here who has vast experience with box turtles.

I am letting Matilda (3yr old box turtle) hibernate this winter in a pile of leaves and soft ground.

In fact, I'm getting ready to go out now to add more but I admit, I'm a hack, the real talent will show up! I'n the meantime, you might to read through the care sheets in this folder, they likely cover it.

Good luck,

jeff

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
pick a sunny(south facing) spot . loosen/break up the soil(sandy loam) up about 12" inches deep , a 3'x4' rectangle is big enough , up against a wall makes sure they dig down in the right spot ..... put 6" of grass clippings over the loosened soil , they'll go in that for sure , when the leaves fall start putting leaves on the grass clippings , i put easily 2-3' of leaves ...... we get stretches where the highs can be zero single digits , i throw a tarp over the leaves when those stretches happen , make sure it's a non flooding spot , and don't leave the tarp on it , they need the moisture from snow and rain ....

this gets them in the right spot
IMG-1144.jpg

DSCF8209.jpg

DSCF6979.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you help brumate a box turtle outdoors?
You don't. Doing it outside leads to death for uncountable Chelonia every year. Sure there are experienced experts like Mark that can pull it off, but that is not the norm.

The info here pertains to any bruiting reptile. I do it similarly for turtles, tortoises, lizards and snakes:

Indiana
pick a sunny(south facing) spot . loosen/break up the soil(sandy loam) up about 12" inches deep , a 3'x4' rectangle is big enough , up against a wall makes sure they dig down in the right spot ..... put 6" of grass clippings over the loosened soil , they'll go in that for sure , when the leaves fall start putting leaves on the grass clippings , i put easily 2-3' of leaves ...... we get stretches where the highs can be zero single digits , i throw a tarp over the leaves when those stretches happen , make sure it's a non flooding spot , and don't leave the tarp on it , they need the moisture from snow and rain ....

this gets them in the right spot
IMG-1144.jpg

DSCF8209.jpg

DSCF6979.jpg
Ok does it have to be on a south facing slope or can it be done on somwwhat of an east/south top of a slope

Indiana
Then how do
You don't. Doing it outside leads to death for uncountable Chelonia every year. Sure there are experienced experts like Mark that can pull it off, but that is not the norm.

The info here pertains to any bruiting reptile. I do it similarly for turtles, tortoises, lizards and snakes:
Then how is it possible that these full grown box turtles have managed to do it year after year? I'm very confused and am begging for help to make that possible just as they do their selves so please explain a bit more

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Then how do
Then how is it possible that these full grown box turtles have managed to do it year after year?
Many don't. Some survive it for a time, right up until they don't. Leaving them outside subject to the cruel whims of Mother Nature often results in their death. Then those people go on to tell other people how scary and dangerous hibernation is and that they shouldn't risk it. If you just do it right, and take the right steps, its easy, natural and beneficial.

Mark told you how he does it, and I have no doubt his animals survive that way year after year, but few people have Mark's level of understanding, experience or ability. He knows exactly what to do when the weather shifts, and he does it. Its still taking a gamble that I wouldn't take, and most people do not succeed as he has. Controlled, known, stable temperatures and conditions work best.

Indiana
Then how do

Then how is it possible that these full grown box turtles have managed to do it year after year? I'm very confused and am begging for help to make that possible just as they do their selves so please explain a bit more
Ok does it have to be on a south facing slope or can it be done on somwwhat of an east/south top of a slope
Does it have to be on a south facing slopee or can it be flat?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
yes , make sure it's not a spot that floods ...... it's just the sunnier the better , south facing is optimum, in the wild many turtles hibernate in less than optimum conditions ......... the more shade it is the longer they'll stay down in the spring , the earlier they'll go down in the fall , so the hibernation will be longer .....

Indiana
yes , make sure it's not a spot that floods ...... it's just the sunnier the better , south facing is optimum, in the wild many turtles hibernate in less than optimum conditions ......... the more shade it is the longer they'll stay down in the spring , the earlier they'll go down in the fall , so the hibernation will be longer .....
Wi

Attachments

• IMG_20230928_173308105_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230928_173308105_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230928_173436480_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230928_173436480_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230928_173308105_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230928_173308105_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230928_173630600.jpg
    IMG_20230928_173630600.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
Indiana
Witch spot would be best the 1st one pictured witch is on top of a hill or the 2nd witch is on a slightly sloped south facing area

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
either spot would be good as long as they don't flood with winter and spring thaws ........ my box turtles hibernate at the high end of a south facing slope ......... make sure you break the ground up good down to about a foot ....when i started hibernating the box turtles i added a little sand to the soil and mixed it in the soil real good , since then the grass clippings and leaves breaking down has made some ideal soil for them to hibernate in ......wild box turtles often dig in under fallen rotting trees ......... i've been hibernating these guys since 2000 , i've never lost one ..... i have brought a few in over those years when i seen them out when they shouldn't have been .....

Indiana
either spot would be good as long as they don't flood with winter and spring thaws ........ my box turtles hibernate at the high end of a south facing slope ......... make sure you break the ground up good down to about a foot ....when i started hibernating the box turtles i added a little sand to the soil and mixed it in the soil real good , since then the grass clippings and leaves breaking down has made some ideal soil for them to hibernate in ......wild box turtles often dig in under fallen rotting trees ......... i've been hibernating these guys since 2000 , i've never lost one ..... i have brought a few in over those years when i seen them out when they shouldn't have been .....
Thank you and I want u to know that u helping me and all the explaining and pictures and your own opinions and sharing things that you actually do to help me your very appreciated thank you.

Indiana
Ok cool I was only asking that trying to see our weather differences witch is not much because your surprisingly not as far away from me as I would of assumed
Okay I got it dug and I have all the soil loosened and I have the topsoil and stuff to mix in with the loose dirt so I was trying to ask you what do I do next????? Do I just mix it all in and fill it up then start doing the layers of grass clippings and leafs??? Then do I just sit the turtles in the area and let them dig their way down to where they choose???????

Attachments

• IMG_20231008_180640665.jpg
    IMG_20231008_180640665.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231008_180626979.jpg
    IMG_20231008_180626979.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You have the right idea but to me, you are very late with this. August would have been better. My Matilda stopped eating about 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't want to make her "get used to the temps" we have at night, beginning now. It was 47F last night. If your little guy isn't used to it or still has food in his/her gut, it can be a problem.

When mine was attacked by an animal and needed a couple weeks of medical care last Oct I think it was, I kept her inside for the winter. We had been getting temps into the 20's and she hadn't seen anything under 72 in my home for 2+ weeks. I did not fling her into that to deal with. She just kept me company over the Winter.

Good luck!

jeff