PlaySand/Bed a Beast Mix Vs. Timothy Hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

5 Year Member
I was wondering how people keep their tortoises and water bowls clean? After switching over to play sand and bed a beast mix, it seems that the little guys walk every where including their water bowls. It didn't take very long for the water to turn into mud. I've read that sulcatas require quite a bit of humidity and that the bed a beast with play soil is the best choice. Only problem i'm having now is that the little guys get the stuff all over the place. It even seems that they get it in between their legs and shells. I'm not quite sure if this is comfortable for them so i switched back to hay temporarily until i could find a good solution. Just wondering what are some good opinions on what to do for the substrate. Also for all sulcata owners out there, what are the humidity readings that you guys have or keep your tanks at?

M

Maggie Cummings

You should use the combination of eco earth and play sand. 70% eco earth or bed a beast. Generally speaking if you keep the soil moist it doesn't track as much. But these are basically dirty animals anyway. You just need to clean the water dish everyday. Timothy hay isn't even close to a correct substrate for Sulcata. I don't keep a water dish in with my small animals anymore. But I do keep a moist substrate and I do soak them everyday.. If you keep hay as your substrate your tortoise will pyramid.
I use fine grade orchid bark as my substrate I like it a lot. But most keepers use that bed a beast.
70 to 80% humidity. I ran the humidifier today for my big Sulcata and it was 100% humidity in his shed...hot and humid!

jdub

5 Year Member
oh.. okkay i think what happened with the first batch of substrate i made was 50/50 instead of 70/30. I'll try that this week end and see how that works out. Oh and one more thing. The last time i placed them into the enclosure with the 50/50 bed a beast mix, they were running around like crazy. It almost seemed like they had an injection of pure caffeine or something. Was wondering if that's normal?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
What ive done is around the water bowl i have large aquarium stones around it so that when they get to the water most of the soil is off them, It really does work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.