Platemys

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
I'm wondering if somebody here keep this species? And I'm interning in to see the enclosures of them!

Berkeley

I used to. I don't have them anymore. I kept them in a mostly aquatic setup with about 7 inches of water and lots of submerged branches and logs. They paddled and lumbered about quite happily. Kept them that way for about 5 years.

--Berkeley

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Okay do you still have a picture of the setup? Do you breed them?

Berkeley

I don't know that I have any pictures of the set up. I have pictures of the turtles in the tank, but when I took the pictures the focus was on the turtles. And they are prints- I'll have to see if I can scan them and then post them up here.

No, I never had any luck breeding them. I didn't really have a whole lot of knowledge about the species back then, and I didn't really try to get them to reproduce either.

--Berkeley

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I don't know that I have any pictures of the set up. I have pictures of the turtles in the tank, but when I took the pictures the focus was on the turtles. And they are prints- I'll have to see if I can scan them and then post them up here.

No, I never had any luck breeding them. I didn't really have a whole lot of knowledge about the species back then, and I didn't really try to get them to reproduce either.

--Berkeley

Ah okay thank you. Hopefully someone of this forum keep this species at the moment and can post something about them!
To keep them shouldn't be very difficult but I want to know how much water/land and something about diet.

carl1738

5 Year Member
I keep them. I keep them in a half-land, half-water enclosure with my R.p.manni group. I've gotten lots of eggs from them, but haven't had any luck hatching them. I've recently been advised that they need a period of diapause from 1-3 months, so I'm hoping to give that a try this fall when they start laying again.

carl1738

5 Year Member
Here's what my enclosure looks like.

Attachments

• 1456605409458.jpg
    1456605409458.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 50

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Thank you! At the moment there are no animals available..

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480405309.699105.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480405319.022208.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480405328.591540.jpg

So long searching but I found animals. The group is 1,3. 1,1 is sudadult 0,2 full adult. They're not with me at the moment I'll get them at the Hamm show 10.12.16.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
There is an adult breeding pair on the public FB turtle/tortoise classifieds page. I think charging 300

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
So my group arrived yesterday. Beautiful acclimatized LTC animals.
They're still eating. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481469546.601145.jpg
This here is the tank of them. I use black tee for making the water "black" and imitating the Amazonas.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481469656.640868.jpg
I'll make another "earthbox" for them so that they have more land.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
nice turtles , I used to have some , I like them a lot , wish I had room to have them again , or would have neverhad to have gotten rid of them ....... you can add an organic , natural , peat moss to your filter and achieve the stained water with the actual effects of the organics .........

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Never heard of using black tea. What's the thought process with that? Peat moss and Almond Leaves work well too.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes but I'm not a friend of leaves from the outside. And normal peat moss make the water dirty and I only want black water.

Berkeley

Never heard of using black tea. What's the thought process with that? Peat moss and Almond Leaves work well too.

It's the exact same. Teas, almond leaves, peat, oak leaves, cypress, etc, all produce the tannins in higher amounts than many other plants do.

--Berkeley

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
it has always appeared to me that peat moss was a long term stable way to create softer more acidic water .......... i would suppose you could achieve similar effects with enough black tea leaves over time , but i would initially worry about the caffeine , it may not be an issue , i just don't know how much would initially be introduced , and its affect on a turtle ........

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah. I guess my hesitation isn't really backed up by any evidence. Just would be worried about using tea.