Plastic in tortoise substrate???

iliketortioses

Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, UK
I got a Hermann tortoise last week and I have noticed that there have been glass shards and small pieces of plastic in the substrate. The pieces are small enough for him to be able to eat. I have not put them there and I think that the substrate just came like this. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems as me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get rid of it and buy new. What brand was it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got a Hermann tortoise last week and I have noticed that there have been glass shards and small pieces of plastic in the substrate. The pieces are small enough for him to be able to eat. I have not put them there and I think that the substrate just came like this. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems as me.
Not okay. Remove and replace that substrate ASAP.

Here is the care info which includes substrate choices:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
What make was this substrate - I would like to know, to avoid it. What a good thing you noticed this contamination.
Oh, and welcome from Devon -I have a Hermanns tortoise too - He is nearly 22 - and wonderful !!
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think I saw something just like this recently on this forum. Dangerous!!!