Plants

navycop2004

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I just got my adult redfoot enclosure all set up. I am looking for some live plants and fake plants to put in her new home. Also any other ideas for other decor so it’s not so bleek

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sorry. I've been a little out of it. I've just been dealing with Moderator issues mostly.
How much room do you have? Plants in pots do best in tortoise enclosures. And plants like Lyriopi and Spider plants are inexpensive, branch out and provide cover, live for a long time in not much light and have at least to me shown to be very nibble resistant.
Pothos is also a good choice.
I do not reccomend plastic plants of any kind. The risks are just too great. Just a little plastic inside of a tortoise can be very serious.
Also, even though it seems like a great idea, avoid moss of any kind for the same reason. It's not digestible. Moss is great for some Herps, etc. But is dangerous in a tortoise enclosure

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Prayer plant, Jade, lettuce, carrot, mother-in-laws tongue, Christmas cactus, boston fern, African violet, pepperomia, baby's tears, parlor palm, sensitive plant, haworthia, hen and chicks, burro tail - bear in mind, not all of these do well in low light, so you'll end up moving them in and out to replace with others.

navycop2004

Oregon
Sorry. I've been a little out of it. I've just been dealing with Moderator issues mostly.
How much room do you have? Plants in pots do best in tortoise enclosures. And plants like Lyriopi and Spider plants are inexpensive, branch out and provide cover, live for a long time in not much light and have at least to me shown to be very nibble resistant.
Pothos is also a good choice.
I do not reccomend plastic plants of any kind. The risks are just too great. Just a little plastic inside of a tortoise can be very serious.
Also, even though it seems like a great idea, avoid moss of any kind for the same reason. It's not digestible. Moss is great for some Herps, etc. But is dangerous in a tortoise enclosure
My enclosure is an 8x4x4 so its pretty big, I googled the spider plants and said they were toxic, are they not?

navycop2004

Oregon
Prayer plant, Jade, lettuce, carrot, mother-in-laws tongue, Christmas cactus, boston fern, African violet, pepperomia, baby's tears, parlor palm, sensitive plant, haworthia, hen and chicks, burro tail - bear in mind, not all of these do well in low light, so you'll end up moving them in and out to replace with others.
thank you for the tips, I have heard yes on some of these plants and also no on some of them

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My enclosure is an 8x4x4 so its pretty big, I googled the spider plants and said they were toxic, are they not?
Neither Spider plants or Lyriopi are "food" plants. But they are the plants that I use for my Redfoot. Indoors and outdoors because of their hardiness, shade providing shape and the fact that my tortoises don't see them as something to eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not toxic. Many of us use them. Pothos is not toxic either. My tortoises eat or trample any plant they can reach.

With 4 foot tall ceilings, I would add several 6500K LED strips all around the enclosure and then hang a bunch of plants at different levels throughout the enclosure. The bright light will help the plants to grow and thrive, and all the plants will provide dappled shady areas for your tort(s).

Also, it should be mentioned that 4x8 feet is not large enough for an adult RF, especially in a climate like yours where it needs to be indoors most of every year.