Plants to plant in outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Temps are rising and i wanna build an outdoor enclosure for my redfoot. Only thing I really need to do is decide what plants to plant. I want to choose 5-8 of them that she can safely eat and that will grow back fairly quickly as she is 6yrs old and about 8in long so she eats like a pig! So any recommendations are great or if you can direct me to another page that'd also be fantastic. I can always change the size of the pen so space isn't a major issue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Anything in the pansy/violet family, hosta, strawberry, some places sell a seed variety called "spring mix (different lettuces), mushrooms, purslane, dichondra, clover, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like grape vines for shade. Rose of sharon is nice too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A nice mulberry tree off in the corner will provide good food all summer long...and beautiful shade.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hopefully Terryo will post pictures and offer advice! She has the most beautiful outdoor enclosure for her RF, with many different plants.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you Katie. There are lots of others who have great enclosures for their RF too. Look in the enclosure section. I love hosta's. Pio sits under them for shade during the day. In the Summer I have begonias, portulaca, dandelion, pansies, creeping jenny for a ground cover, moss around the pond, a small Rose of Sharon, a little fig tree, some coleus and day lillies. I also have some sedum for ground cover. I throw in some Spring mix seeds in a corner and she loves to nibble on those little sprouts. There are many sites for plants but this is my favorite. http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_landscaping.htm
I carry it with me when I go to the nurseries.
043-6.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great link Terry! I have day lilies and hostas...might have to move some to Nelson's outdoor enclosure!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I just put 3 pansies in Pio's new viv this morning, and I just looked in there and they are eaten down to the soil. Wow!

Kyle

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thans everyone! The links you posted will definitly be a big help. Hey Terry, how to you build that pond?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's just a little pond with a stream that my son made with black cement. In the middle of the pond is a hole that he has a small pump that goes around to the top of the stream. He dug it out, put some pond liner and then put the cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.