Plants lower temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Curious here, do FAKE boston fern leaves lower the enclosures temp? Reason I ask is because the temp dropped like 2 degrees celcius after I put it in Torty's enclosure. Usually it's between 30-32c during the day but it droppped to 28-30c after I put in the fake plant.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I think maybe the plant is warming up.
The temp. should return to normal as long as the fake fern is not blocking your heat source.

samstar

5 Year Member
t_mclellan said:
I think maybe the plant is warming up.
The temp. should return to normal as long as the fake fern is not blocking your heat source.

Not at all blocking the heat source, it is on the extreme end next to his hut, also it's fake so I dont see how it can warm up. I just checked the temp and its about 26 degrees celcius, it goes up to about 30-32 degrees celcius in the day.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Because room temperature vary (even with a thermostat), what you measure one day you will not measure on a different day. Most people need to adjust their heating in an enclosure on a regular basis. I do not think the change in temperature has anything to do with a fake plant unless as mentioned it is blocking the light/heat from getting to where you are measuring or similar. A real plant and its humidity could change the temperature however. I would accurately (with a temp gun) measure the temp gradient every few days and adjust accordingly. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.