Plants for indoor tortoise enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
Boyertown pa
alright so my little man is to small to go outside in his own enclousre. I just take him out everyday. I know a whole bunch of safe plants that he can eat but most of them can only stay outside. Can anyone help me with plants that can grow indoors and he can eat all the time ? I already have some succulants and getting air plants what else is there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Samantha:

In my opinion, plants grown for a little sulcata should be grown in a separate container, not in the enclosure. Sulcatas quickly destroy any plants in their habitat. For example - get a couple or more kitty litter pans and plant grass or seeds from one of the tortoise places. Put one pan in the enclosure, sunken down into the substrate. When the tortoise has eaten/messed up the plants in that pan, cycle a new pan in while the old pan gets put back out in the sun to grow again.

You can buy some pretty good seed selections from places like tortoisesupply.com

Rue

Canada
Some succulents are very poisonous. I don't think air plants are edible either, but that I'd have to double check.

Spider plants are safe and a good one to start with. I just got a couple from my daughter. One I am going to keep as a 'mother' plant...and then I can start a few 'feeders' to move in and out of the enclosure.

Boyertown pa
Hi Samantha:

In my opinion, plants grown for a little sulcata should be grown in a separate container, not in the enclosure. Sulcatas quickly destroy any plants in their habitat. For example - get a couple or more kitty litter pans and plant grass or seeds from one of the tortoise places. Put one pan in the enclosure, sunken down into the substrate. When the tortoise has eaten/messed up the plants in that pan, cycle a new pan in while the old pan gets put back out in the sun to grow again.

You can buy some pretty good seed selections from places like tortoisesupply.com

Boyertown pa
I got mostly hens and chicks and there all safe I double checked. But i just need something to help with the moisture in the tank. Plus i feed
Him in the morninf and by the time i get home most his food went bad so i wanted stuff he can nibble on throught the day

Boyertown pa
Some succulents are very poisonous. I don't think air plants are edible either, but that I'd have to double check.

Spider plants are safe and a good one to start with. I just got a couple from my daughter. One I am going to keep as a 'mother' plant...and then I can start a few 'feeders' to move in and out of the enclosure.
Hi Samantha:

Boyertown pa
I feed him in te morninf and by the time i get home hea hungry but everything went bad so i want him to have something to munch on throught the day when es hungry

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
do you mean it went bad as in it dried out?
When the food dries out a little, I spray some water on it (and i keep the food dish on the cool side of the enclosure) and that usually helps it stay good for the whole day.
Many times my tortoises will eat the left over dried leaves when they wake up in the morning.

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
Yes. They can eat the wilted leaves, or dried leaves (kind of like hay). Just make sure the food doesn't get mouldy. It might in some very humid environments.