Planter walls?

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I'm going to be honest here, we brought Sarge home full of plans and ideas and motivation to put together the perfect outside enclosure. But it was also soccer season, and band season, and the pouring down rain season...now we have time! (He's been outside lots I promise, it's just not perfect)

What I am wondering is if anybody's ever used whiskey barrels as a wall of one of their enclosures? That way you can plant tort friendly food to hang over the edges?

How successful would a 45lber be at pushing through a full whiskey barrel? Sounds good to me, but before I scour for cheap barrels I wanted to check with the experts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'd need a pic for size reference, but if its what I'm thinking, I bet it will work really well and its a great idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think it would be ok. A half barrel 3/4 full of soil would be pretty heavy. I would use it as a corner with walls coming out from either side.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
This is what I have so far, the big planters are all very very heavy (don't need to hit the gym today!) but they all taper at the bottom leaving daylight. Sarge can't move them, but I know he'll try. Keep in mind that it's November in Oregon, I won't be able to pretty things up for a while!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1479586027.786297.jpg
I'm open to any and all suggestions!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
We will be building a night box using Tom's basic plan, for now we are rotating him either outside when it's warm and sunny or inside. Lots of goodies keeping him nice and warm.