Plant lights vs turtle lights?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
If I want to have live plants in my turtle tank, will the usual turtle lights (including UVB, obviously) be sufficient for healthy plants too?

Ed mitch

If I want to have live plants in my turtle tank, will the usual turtle lights (including UVB, obviously) be sufficient for healthy plants too?
I'm not sure about the aquatic plants but my plants are fine in my tortoise enclosure with the UVB

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The fluorescent UVB lights we use for turtles/tortoises are GREAT for plants. They will do better under those lights than most other lights you could use. A lot of light they produce is not needed by the plants, but if you are already using it for your turtle, it will work very well. Plants primarily use red and blue light, so the UVB is unnecessary, but the higher blue values are there. Incadescent and MVB get too hot, and are way less energy efficient in producing the light you need