Plant id

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
Are any of these safe for my Sulcata, and if so, how often? I tried to id them my self, but I'm horrible at explaining... Plus, a picture is worth 1,00 words =)

image-2885963259.png

image-835736500.png

image-673545001.png

image-3724302434.png

image-1876002893.png

image-2900074224.png

image-2578212119.png

image-3787305886.png

image-3429672287.png

image-3719520857.png

image-3210685704.png

Attachments

• image-2593237041.png
    image-2593237041.png
    92 KB · Views: 23

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Don't know.
2. Dandelion. All good. Flowers, stems and leaves.
3. Don't remember what it's called, but they love it.
4. "
5. Don't know this one.
6. Broadleaf plantain. Excellent food!
7. Narrow leaf plantain. Also excellent.
8. Oxalis. No good. Looks a lot like a clover, but has little yellow trumpet like flowers, right?
9. Looks like clover. What do the flowers look like? The pic is a little blurry for me.
10. Sow thistle. Good stuff.
11. Can't see enough of the plant. More sow thistle?
12. Grass. Good stuff.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Except for the first pic, which I don't recognize is growing in my yard. the only one I shy away from is pic 8,but if a little is in a handful when I pull for food I leave it in the mix, I have spent 6 years getting these weeds growing good in with the grass.They all are part of the varied diet I feed when available. I am referring to the first set of pics only you added some while I was looking.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Tom said:
1. Don't know.
4. "
5. Don't know this one.
8. Oxalis. No good. Looks a lot like a clover, but has little yellow trumpet like flowers, right?
9. Looks like clover. What do the flowers look like? The pic is a little blurry for me.
12. Grass. Good stuff.

Tom u are so awesome! Thanks... I can't find the one in #9 to take another pic, but I believe it's the same as #8 and I an SOOO glad I took a pic, because I saw him eating clovers (not the one that grows in bunches) and I thought they were the same, just a later stage. I believe #10 and 11 are the same, just different stages... Thank u sooooo much!

Len said:
Except for the first pic, which I don't recognize is growing in my yard. the only one I shy away from is pic 8,but if a little is in a handful when I pull for food I leave it in the mix, I have spent 6 years getting these weeds growing good in with the grass.They all are part of the varied diet I feed when available. I am referring to the first set of pics only you added some while I was looking.

Thank u so much! I'm so glad that most are a part of their regular diet because I have a ton lol... We just moved here about 2 months ago, and before us, it was empty for 18 months, so no yard work = excellent tortoise food lol

Also, will he still need moistened zoo med grassland tortoise pellets to the greens, or will he have a well balanced diet w/weeds and grass alone? Should I keep adding calcium powder?

Also, should I keep coating the greens w/the moistened pellets (zoo med grassland tortoise) powdered calcium (every other day) or will the weeds alone be a balanced diet?

(sorry about repeating myself, I didn't think it went through the first time because someone called my phone)

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
What should I feed him in the winter? Nothing grows outside, so do I just rely on spring mix (minus the spinach) and Santa Barbara mix?

redbeef

5 Year Member
Tom said:
1. Don't know.
4. "
5. Don't know this one.
12. Grass. Good stuff.

1 and 11 look to be the same plant. I think 9 looks like more oxalis: seedpods are what I'm going off of for this ID

y'know: check Emysemys sticky at the top of this subforum: I think your 1 and 11 are the first plant featured: groundsel...and therefore not edible

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...-edible-and-toxic-for-tortoises#axzz21743oLGX

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
redbeef said:
1 and 11 look to be the same plant. I think 9 looks like more oxalis: seedpods are what I'm going off of for this ID

I think u are right, #1 is just starting to grow and I guess I didn't notice bottom leaves on #11... and also I think 9 is the same as 8 minus the flowers... This is going to sound stupid but, clovers are the ones that don't grow in bunches, just 1 stem w/3-4 leaves, right?

redbeef said:

y'know: check Emysemys sticky at the top of this subforum: I think your 1 and 11 are the first plant featured: groundsel...and therefore not edible

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...-edible-and-toxic-for-tortoises#axzz21743oLGX

The flowers on #11 kinda look like little cotton balls, similar to "wish" dandelions

redbeef said:

U are absolutely right, that's exactly what they are, I thought they were the ones w/the little white "cotton" blooms that have leaves that look like they have spines on the edge (like the ones in my second set of pics) but I just opened one of the pods and the tips are yellow, plus their leaves are completely different...

Does anyone recognize anything in the second set of pics?

Tom said:
1. Don't know.
4. "
5. Don't know this one.
12. Grass. Good stuff.

On #3, should I cut the spines off before I give it to him?

I forgot to add the last 2 from the second post

image-618203615.png

image-816394415.png

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
redbeef said:

I forgot to thank u... Thank u so much... I was thinking this was sow thistle... Glad u guys are here to help, I really appreciate it =)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't know what #1 or #5 are.

#2 & 4 are dandelion

#3, 10 & 11 are sow thistle

#6 is broad leaf plantain

#7 is narrow leaf plantain

#8 & 9 are oxalics

#12 appears to one of the broad leaf grasses

All are edible. Oxalics should be fed sparinginly because of it's high oxalic acid content. Some species show no interest in grass.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Atra42o said:
What should I feed him in the winter? Nothing grows outside, so do I just rely on spring mix (minus the spinach) and Santa Barbara mix?

You can grow your own potted spineless opuntia. You can add Mazuri and or the ZooMed grassland food to the spring mix. You can sprout your own pasture or seed mixes indoors. Tortoissupply.com sells a product called "Salad Style". It is finely chopped orchard and timothy hay. You sprinkle that on top of the grocery store greens to add much needed fiber.

There is much more than Spring and SB mix available. Try some endive, escarole, cilantro, red or green leaf lettuce, water cress, carrot tops, turnip or mustard greens, kale, bok choy, collards, chard, etc... Mix it up sometimes. In the past I would buy two or three of these at a time and alternate days, or just make a chopped up mix of them. I wish they had "Salad Style" back then... Makes it so much better for them.

During the whole year, I would still give a pinch of calcium a couple of times a week.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Thanks everyone =)

image-2748635408.png

image-443473525.png

image-2599667453.png

image-3972703677.png

image-1142553476.png

image-1001048763.png

image-2047125197.png

View attachment 24496

image-1963947417.png

image-1792506782.png

image-3644839364.png

image-4180473973.png

image-1568452163.png

Can anyone help me out on these? I put them up yesterday after the 1st... The last 2 are just for fun =)

I ment the ones w/Master Oogway in them when I said the last 2 were just for fun, the order mixed up ; )

Atra42o said:
Thanks everyone =)

image-2099443819.png

Can anyone help me out on these? I put them up yesterday after the 1st... The last 2 are just for fun =)

I ment the ones w/Master Oogway in them when I said the last 2 were just for fun, the order mixed up ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.