Plant ID

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Can someone please tell me what plant this is and is it safe for my desert box turtle? I would like to put it in Paxton 's enclosure. Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20240412_180419375.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240412_180419375.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

zolasmum

5 Year Member
To me it looks like a variety of coleus - if so, I think it would definitely not be good for Paxton - but I am probably wrong.
Angie

Reactions: Ink

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It’s Hypoestes phyllostachya (polka dot plant) I’ve read it’s not toxic but can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, I wouldn’t put it in. Hope this helps🙂
The Tortoise Table lists it as safe, though. Do you have a link where these symptoms are listed? (I need more sources besides TTT, perhaps)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The Tortoise Table lists it as safe, though. Do you have a link where these symptoms are listed? (I need more sources besides TTT, perhaps)
I can’t remember where I read it tbh😣I remember looking up a bunch of different house plants I had years ago to check if they were pet safe and I remember this one saying it could cause sickness and diarrhoea if a pet were to eat it but it’s not toxic, I’ll try and find the link

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
@Alex and the Redfoot found it!

Maybe it’s not the case for torts though? Idk..
I did also see this old thread

I’d personally air on the side of caution with it and wouldn’t put it in, but that’s just me, I overthink everything when it comes to pet safety🥲

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Googled a bit, it seems that when eaten in large quantities it can cause "mild gastrointestinal discomfort". So it's safe to use.

Reactions: Ink