Plant ID in South Florida

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I am looking to extend scooter's outdoor enclosure but there is a large privacy shrub and I do not know if it is safe to keep in there. I live just south of west palm beach so I'm assuming this is a commonly used privacy screen in the area. Does anybody know what this is and if it is safe for the tort?
10368639_10203010201909430_986547559_o.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know what it is, but it looks like some sort of fig. Cut off a branch and take it to a plant nursery. They will be able to I.D. it for you.

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
Looks to me like Coco Plum; does it sometimes get berries the size of olives? Not sure if its tortoise safe.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Yes it does and it is also known as gopher apples Bc the fruit is a favorite to gopher tortoises

steam roller

5 Year Member
Florida
Good to know I can feed them to our sulcatta. The fruit is much smaller than apples more like olives, I have several in the yard. I tried him on several different flowers, he rejected some but chowed down on others which made me wonder if they have an instinctual rejection of some plants over other. Hibiscus is a definite favorite.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Yeah I noticed how much smaller they were as well..abt the size of olives is a good way to put it