planning to get a redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavender25

5 Year Member
We live in Central Fl around tampa, and there is a reptile show coming June 12/13. I was wondering if a redfoot a good choice for our area and is there anything that needs to be done differently witht the care because we live in a warm climate?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

chadk

10 Year Member!
Sounds like the perfect climate to me. Actually I think just about any tort would do well there. Will you have room for an outdoor pen?

Just keep in mind that if you have a cold snap, you should provide some additional heat.

I keep several torts here about 45mins from Seattle and do just fine. But would love a warmer and more humid climate for the torts if I could. I do have LOTS of great weeds and grasses for them to eat, so that is good. And plenty of space. But I have to provide additional heat most of the year.

Many folks keep their torts in a tort table or other enclosure at night, but let them roam in the carefully tort proofed yard or large pen during the day. Others are able to keep the torts outside 24x7. Some keep a hatchling indoors until they are big enough to be safely outdoors.

How much space will you have?
Will you be able to provide outdoor space?

A sulcata would probably do well in your climate, but will grow very big and eventually need a large outdoor yard with strong fence. I really enjoy them, but they are not a good fit for everyone. Redfoots are a good choice if you may be interested in having more than one. But they will still need a good sized outdoor pen eventually.

For those with very restricted space, a russian tort is usually the best choice.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
A redfoot will do well in your climate. Just be aware on how big they get.

lavender25

5 Year Member
Good :) Don't worry we have a large fenced backyard that is mostly not being used for anything. Can we keep the little guy's enclosure outside on our screened back porch since it is summer. And let him out for supervised outside time? Will we need any aditional heat /lights since it is so warm?

chadk

10 Year Member!
I would have a CHE ready for any cool spells (dropping below 70 for very long). Night time drops to mid 60's is fine.

Just be careful not to use a glass tank and set that out in the sun. It would cook your little tort.

Have you read Terry aka RedfootNerd's caresheet?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Mine stay in an outside enclosure 24/7 when the lowest temp is 60. Below 60 - I bring them in at night. My house doesn't get below 60 at night, so I never use a bulb. (I live in So Cal - probably similar climate to yours.) It wouldn't hurt to have a CHE ready for emergencies like Chad said though.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Tampa/St Pete area is fine for redfoots to live outside almost year round. I spread the tortoise joy to some friend sup there. They only bring theirs inside when it goes below 65F. Other than that the torts are outside year round. They are almost if not now full fledged adults. Babies, I would take a little more care and keep a closer watch. They got sub adults that were pretty established and have had no issues.

Allegra

Status
Not open for further replies.