Natural graze vs. supplemental fruits/greens for a Redfoot Tortoise

Janelle Messmer

I'm planning on getting a redfoot tortoise in the near future as a pet for my daughter. Decided on the redfoot because we live in Central Florida and are planning on keeping it in an outdoor pen. Obviously the redfoots are more manageable than a sulcata as well.

My question...

We have a native yard (no imported turfgrass) with plenty of naturally occurring weeds, flowers, and ground cover plants... all of which grow/replenish themselves at an amazingly fast rate (it is Florida..). If we keep our redfoot in an large outdoor pen with access to these plants (and whatever bugs may also be there) - does anyone have any advice as to what and how much I would still need to supplement in the tortoise's diet?

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
If your tort has a constant supply of grazing items and bugs to boot....I would not be worried about adding anything additional, well, unless of course you want to drop a piece or two of fruit a couple times per week....lol...outside grazing of good food items will trump any garbage in the market.....oh wait, let me add--"in my opinion" that is...:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ahhh and I was just thinking how fantastic it is to live in Florida with such a perfectly matched species of tortoise...awesome.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm also in Florida and also keep Red footeds. You'll find that even given the entire yard to walk and search, the grasses that get eaten will be very few and far between. Mine are just the other way around...I feed them garden grown leafy veggies, etc and supplement with grasses, fruit and a spot of wet dog food. Red footeds (spelling?) do VERY well in Florida. Do a sweep of your yard and make sure that there are NO FIRE ANTS before you get your tortoise.