Planning my first tort table

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Hello!

My fiance and I are planning to get our first tortoise (a Hermanns), and I would love some feedback on the plans I drew up. I've been doing loads and loads of research, but I might not know something is missing or bad, you know?

Check out the attached picture.

It's 3'x8.5' total, but 1 foot on the right end will be used for housing lighting and storage, so 7.5 feet will be available to the tortoise. The area on the left will be a large hide measuring 3'x1' with an approximately 9" wide opening to enter/exit. It has a removable lid for easy access and this will be the humid hide.

In the center area to the left side will some plants (don't know what kind yet) and a 12"-ish water saucer. In front are round flat rocks set into the substrate. In the middle, a hide.

To the right side of the center, I'd like to use short pavers to create a terraced, planted area. Each step would be about 1" high. Grasses on the first level, leafy plants or flowers on the 2nd. I'll also add a ramp in one corner to allow quick/easy access the top. Any tips on what to make that out of? I was thinking wood like the table, but I don't want them to slip or anything. It wouldn't be a long fall, but if they flipped... :/ At the top is where the light would be (heat/uvb combo one)...it will sit in the compartment to the right, and shine down onto the top level.

There will also be a hinged top to keep out kitties. Was thinking probably a framed screen kinda thing...?

I was planning on organic soil for substrate since I'll be planting, but any tips?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated...layout suggestions, material suggestions, etc. :) Thanks!

Attachments

• 1381122511244.jpg
    1381122511244.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 155

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Looks good...sometimes you just have to do it and see how functional it is for the particular tort and then make tweaks as your tort needs...

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Did I set up the gradient properly? My apartment is anywhere from 70-75 degrees depending on the time of year...should I install a CHE in the humid hide? What wattage should I get for that and the basking area?

Any other tips are super appreciated! :)

Also, if I wanted to put glass in the front for viewing, how should I do that and what should I use?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your plan looks great!
Make sure the sides are tall enough to allow for substrate and landscaping and prevent them climbing out.
Wood is a pretty good insulator. You shouldn't need extra insulation beyond that.

Your basic room temp is more than adequate for background heat. I don't think you will need a cover for warmth, but of course screening is fine to keep out cats. Make sure it is no smaller than 1/4" gauge so it does not block UVB.
In addition, you will have substrate and basking rocks, which help absorb heat.

The basking (terraced) side should reach 95f approx, so you will have a basking light there. Probably 100w, but that will depend on achieving the basking temp (you can experiment with a regular 100w bulb to see if temps are OK, prior to purchasing the more expensive MVB bulb).
Since you have a nice large enclosure, you may need additional fixture midway down for additional lighting and some additional warmth; a regular 75 or 100w bulb would probably do.
With background temps in the room of 70-75, you won't need additional heat on the cool side. They do need to be able to cool off when needed. I don't tend to worry about a humid hide with adult Mediterranean tortoises, but if you want one, it should be on the warm side.
Rules: Warm and humid/wet. Cool and drier. Not wet and cool.

Organic topsoil is a fine substrate. Keeping the underlayers moist (pour in water and mix about once per week). This is usually enough humidity for these tortoises.

(If you will have a hatchling, then it would be a different, smaller setup.)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Thanks so much for your response!

Would watering the plants every day or two not be enough for humidity?

I wasn't planning on an itty bitty hatchling. But I was thinking a yearling or slightly younger. How big are they usually around that age? Would this still work?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Well, the hatchling bug bit me, and I'll be getting one soonish, so I'll need to set up a different enclosure. Im thinking a sweaterbox setup, but I'll need to figure out a lid (ideas?). It'll give me more time to perfect my table and grow the plants up a bit, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.