Planning my first outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
This week my father in law is going to help me build an outdoor enclosure for my Sulcata. Petrie is 6 months old and still small. I want to build something big enough to last awhile but not overwhelming yet. The will be a cover of some sort to keep him safe but other then that any suggestions would be great. I would love to great a beautiful place for his summer home. Unfortunately I live in central ny and unless we have another mild winter he will have to live inside then but for now I would like him to have a safe outside place.

Also what spot in the yard is the best? Full Sun or partial? Close to the kids play area?

Thank you in advance

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
RE: Planning my first outdood enclosure

Sulcata owners will chime in, but:

Sun and shade.
Sides could be made of concrete blocks. If more than one layer is needed, stagger them (they make half blocks). With these, you can eventually change the size fairly easily. You can still make a wood frame for the top.
An couple of nice burrows (stack bricks, or concrete pieces with a slate or wood top, and cover with soil).
Get some African tortoise grazing mix and sprinkle into the soil, keep watered and you have a great food source!
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/AfricanGrazerMix

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
Lynnedit - Thank you for your response.

My father in law and I are going to work on the new enclosure this weekend. I am thinking 3x6 or 3x8 for now. Is that big enough to last a while? Being in Central New York Petrie will only be outside when the snow isn't flying and the enclosure will have to be added onto in the summers but I thought to start off this would be good.

Here are some pictures of my yard.......I'm not really sure where the best place to put the enclosure is. Any suggestions?

0FE8D9CB-E8B5-48ED-870D-839ACF7A79A2.JPGD997A59F-DAC4-4E6C-930F-6F6975F05A83.JPGF6B05D9C-6155-41EA-9612-B6F38829000C.JPG6469A6B2-CFE8-4F00-9AFE-DFA55F1C2EB8.JPG004639F6-FD5F-41ED-8189-5366B75CC8C5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You want something as big as you can make that gets sun.
Also make sure there's shade, and cool spots even a hide if it gets too hot, and a water bowl.
Good luck you can get many ideas id you go thru the enclosure threads :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
How about part under the vine arbor and part in the sun? That would keep the enclosure fairly close to the house for maintenance (near a hose faucet?) The part in the sun would preferably be morning sun at the least, into midday hopefully.
BTW, how big is the arbor? What is growing on it?

Say, in a few years, I see your whole yard walled in for your tort, lol.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
Lynnedit - the arbor is about 5 x 5 and is growing concord grapes. The owners prior to us made wine from them. As the summer goes on the grapes grow all the way to the ground. I could trim back one side so half the enclosure could be under it.

I'm not sure if it would get morning sun but afternoon and evening for sure

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That would work! a nice shady area during the heat of summer. And grape leaves are very good for torts.
Morning sun is nice, but as long as there is a stretch of sun during the months your tort is outside, that's all they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.