Pit Bull put to death for... being a Pit Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It's a shame. I don't really understand their issue with having it rehome out of the country.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
While it is incredibly terrible what the Belfast City Council has done, I would have to say the owners of the dog are partly to blame. If you KNOW that a dog is not allowed in your area, whether it be "fair" or not, you are only putting the poor dog's life at risk by thinking you can go around the law and have him anyway. Either way, poor Lennox.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Here in Long Island, New York a three year old child was just (yesterday) mauled by a pitt. They are not for everybody. Also, owners should know the law.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how did they get the dog to begin with if it is illegal where they live? Did they do DNA tests? did the dog DO anything or was ita ll just because they are not allowed. If the dog didn't do anything, then I don't understand why it just wasn't rehomed elsewhere.
If the breed is illegal there.. right or wrong.. its the law.. and they should never hae put that dog in harms way...

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
They are claiming that Lennox was not a pit bull but an American Bull dog mix. Well, american bull dogs are just pit bull and bull dog mixes, so that is a moot point, but either way, the law says "pit bull type dogs". I would consider an american bull dog a "pit bull type dog". And if the owners weren't sure, they could have asked before getting him.

It sickens me how often I see it: people getting a pit in a place where they are banned for the SOLE purpose of proving everyone wrong. All they are doing is putting an innocent dog's life at risk. Taking Lennox away from his family was just the Belfast police doing their job. Putting him to sleep when they were offered repeatedly to have him relocated is where they were severely flawed, but removing him from his family wasn't necessarily a terrible injustice to the world.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Given the development of pit bull-type dogs, I am in favor of bans on them, since both upbringing and temperament affect behavior. However, I am not in favor of putting down healthy dogs that haven't hurt anyone. The law should be changed to allow such dogs to be relocated out of the country, as Stilwell suggested. It's a shame that was not an option.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I have honestly only met one nice "pit bull type dog" but I also haven't met many so that is not saying much. All I know is that we don't accept pit mixes into our Border Collie rescue because the only two we ever did killed another dog while in foster care. Herding instinct and prey drive don't mix, apparently.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I guess no one really reads all the pertinent information?

The animal in question was a mix - not a "Pit Bull" - Evidence was presented to prove that......

Pit Bull type Dogs? WTF? How do you type a Dog? Last time I looked, they all had mouths and can be vicious if they want to be.......Doesn't matter if it was trained by Jesus himself........I can think of about a million different things that should be banned, and the absolute last thing on that list would be any Dog.........

Oh, and I hate Mammals in general, so this is about as unbiased as I get......

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
EricIvins said:
I guess no one really reads all the pertinent information?

The animal in question was a mix - not a "Pit Bull" - Evidence was presented to prove that......

Pit Bull type Dogs? WTF? How do you type a Dog? Last time I looked, they all had mouths and can be vicious if they want to be.......Doesn't matter if it was trained by Jesus himself........I can think of about a million different things that should be banned, and the absolute last thing on that list would be any Dog.........

Oh, and I hate Mammals in general, so this is about as unbiased as I get......

As I said in my post, it is a moot point because "American bulldogs" which they said lennox to be, are actually just Pit Bull and Old English Bulldogge mixes. BUT, the inards of the law probably had a nice list of breeds that were not allowed, and if you are getting a dog that could even POSSIBLY be a "pit bull type dog" when living in a city like this, it would be smart to check the laws beforehand.

I'm also certainly not saying that the breeds SHOULD be banned, just that the owners shouldn't have thought that their personal morals had more weight to the city of Belfast than the law.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
god i hate people who are against pit bulls just because of what they have heard and seen. and people could have had pit bulls before the law and then it passed so they went door to door taking them and putting them down. so sad

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
They are illegal here, and on the dangerous dog list. Yet people keep breeding and breeding them because they are a "status" dog, and a lot of these people (not saying all) train them to be vicious. it's really sad.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can only attest to my personal experience with pit bull and mixes, and to date I personally have never met a mean one, I have known several over the years and all were kind as any animal could ever be. Now chiwawas on the other hand I have never seen a nice one mean nasty little dogs. But if the owner knew they were illegal this is all on them and the dog had to pay the price.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This thread and the comments following that article are full of lies, exaggerations and misinformation. I am a dog trainer. My specialty for the last 20 years has been dog aggression problems and fixing them. I am the guy that gets called when other trainers and vets tell people to put their dogs down. I deal with these problems daily. I also hold many National Championship titles in protection dog training, so its not just people's ill-trained or untrained pets that I deal with. I KNOW about aggression and dogs.

Pitbulls are not any more vicious than any other breed. In fact as far as humans are concerned, they are a lot less vicious in most cases. For hundreds of years REAL pitbulls have been bred to NOT show ANY man aggression, while numerous other breeds have been customized specifically TO bite humans. Last time I saw the statistics, the number one dog for biting children was the Dalmatian. Number two was Golden Retriever. Pitbulls, even with all the media hysteria and lunacy, are way down the list.

Nowadays any time someone is bitten by any dog, pitbulls are blamed. I know of a recent case where two normally friendly shepards tore a guy up for no apparent reason. People who weren't even there were retelling the story with pitbulls. They insisted it was vicious pitbulls, even after I told them I know both parties, was there on the site the day after, and personally knew the dogs who did the deed. This is all a bunch of non-sense. We don't need to ban any breeds, we need to prosecute and hold responsible people who do bad things or behave irresponsibly. I've met 1000 pitbulls. Maybe 3 of them were dangerous dogs that would bite for no good reason. By contrast that ratio for German shepards is more like 150 out of 1000. Labs, 75 out of a 1000. Golden retrievers (seriously, some of my worst aggression cases) around 100 for every thousand. Chows around 500/1000. Just a question of time for chows really. Chihuahuas too, 750/1000. Any more most people don't even know what a pitbull is. Every dog that bites someone is labeled a pitbull. I've seen black labs in the pound for bite cases that were being called a pit bull. Its absurd. Whenever I see these cases on the news, I always watch to see if they show pics of the dog. Its rarely actually a pit bull when they say it is. Most often its just some short coated muscular mixed breed, or one of about two dozen breeds that share some resemblance to a pitbull, like the aforementioned American Bulldogs, which are NOT derived from pits and the recently invented "Olde English Bull dogs". Mr Painter and Mr. Johnson would be HIGHLY offended to hear someone say that.

What is happening to personal freedom in the world is alarming to me. All over the globe, the concept of the government telling us what we can and can't do is taking hold. It is disgusting and it sickens me to hear otherwise seemingly intelligent people call for bans because of media hype and misinformation. I don't want to see people attacked any more than anyone else. In fact because of these type of problems I work very hard to see than people are NOT attacked by any dog of any breed. To have someone say that they are in favor of the government telling me what type of dogs I can own is disgusting and despicable. Pure IGNORANCE. The only thing more dangerous and damaging than having this sort of ignorance is spouting off about it publicly and feeding the media lies and sensationalism.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I have owned dogs, raised and trained dogs (including some very sweet pittys) for many years. I have also been circled and attacked by unrestrained pit bulls while walking my leashed dogs in my residential neighborhood. My opinion is that these bully type breeds are indeed dangerous, but not innately vicious. Personally, I blame the humans for being so completely irresponsible and unaware of the needs of this breed. They are in general a sweet natured breed when their physical and mental/social needs are met. But the reality or their strength and tenacity is real. A human who takes on the responsibility of any animals life and well being is responsible for fulfilling their needs. The ability to reside amongst other animals and humans peacefully is taught. I have looked into the faces of these animals when they have not had that training, and have had to defend myself and my own animals from them. I would not wish that on anyone.
Owning one of these animals while knowing it is illegal to do so is just plain stupid and irresponsible, which unfortunately means the animal is the one to suffer the most from.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pitbulls absolutely have a tendency toward dog aggression. But they are still a heck of a lot less likely to attack a person than any number of other breeds. I don't want to see any large powerful dog roaming the streets unrestrained, but seeing a loose pitbull would concern me a lot less than many other breeds.

As my bumper sticker says, "Ban Ignorance, Not Breeds". More appropriately, I think we need to ban stupid irresponsible people, like the ones in your neighborhood with their loose dogs, and leave the dog breeds alone.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
I do agree with Tom. Ignorance is dangerous, not breeds!!!

The press report: "Lennox had never been reported for any act of aggression, and had never exhibited a single sign of misbehavior. In fact, as a responsible dog owner, Ms. Barnes had him microchipped, neutered, DNA registered, insured, and even had a valid city-issued dog license."

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
My sister owns 2 pitbulls and they are sweet as can be, and her babies fall asleep on them. They are also loved in the neighborhood and considered favorites around town.

Also, what Tom said about other dogs having higher bite/attack rates.

You can find a breed of any single type of dog that has bit and attacked someone, and many in more numbers than Pit Bulls. The idea that you can't own a certain kind of breed of domesticated canine is quite absurd.

A funny fact is, in a lot of states that allow you to own venomous snakes, you cannot own a Pit Bull in some counties.

How about we shift the blame to real culprits? The OWNERS who train the dogs to be aggressive or abuse the dogs?

I think a good way to put this is similar to an argument on guns...Sure, a gun can kill/hurt someone, but without someone holding it, aiming it, and firing it..it is not going to. A dog is similar. Sure, there's flaws in this little demonstration, but you get the idea. And I'm not at all referring to a dog as a weapon, which I do not see them as nor should anyone.

183546_1624891101379_5869362_n.jpg

My niece and Jada.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
It is very sad. :(
The hysteria around pit bulls is sad. Here in Detroit I am sad for them because they are status dogs and used too often for dog fights. :(
I do agree people often label any dogs as pitbulls. In my neighborhood my miniature schnauzer is considered a larger dog because he isn't some toy pocket designer mixed dog like what the neighbors have. I was out running with my lab a few years ago and had the police stop me because they got a call that I had a vicious pitbull. I have a chocolate lab. :rolleyes: The officer was petting her and laughing.

I had a mid sized wire hair terrier and poodle mix that had mental problems so he had to be put down for biting. I know how awful it is to lose a dog young. In my case it was justified but I can't even put myself in these people's shoes to feel the pain of losing a healthy mentally stable dog.

Tom, I wish I had known you when I had my little jordan. I still to this day regret that I couldn't fix him. He was such a sweet dog when he wasn't trying to bite your face off. :( After he was hit by a car (a friend accidentally let him out of the yard and he got hit before I could get to him), he had this issue where he would go after people with no warning. I tried working with a trainer, antidepressants, and everything I could think of to save him.

Status
Not open for further replies.