Pics of Remi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rochellec

5 Year Member
Hi all I'm a new tortoise owner for the past two weeks. I have finally worked out how to upload pic so her they are of my lovely little Remi.

I measured her today and she was 8cm long which is about 3.2 inches. Can anyone confirm what type of Herman she is please and I say she but it could be a he. However having looked at all the chats on that point I think she's a girl but I will upload pics of that in due course.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r536/Rochellec5/.

Have a look and let me know what you guys and girls think all views and opinions welcome.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
For photobucket, if you use the IMG code you can post the individual photos here.

I am no expert but your tortoise does not appear to be a Hermanns, also that is not the best substrate to use, molds very easily when it get wet....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and Remind is adorable...although I would guess Remind the Russian would be more my guess....:D

I am totally with Dmarcus ...the pellets should be replaced straight away...regular yard dirt (free of fertilizer and pesticides/herbicides ) would be so much better than the rabbit pellets....they kinda say what they are designed for :p

I personally like coco coir or the finely processed peat moss (not the stringy kind) for substrate....organic soil is good as well....

Wait around a bit to get input from the others....I am not the best at id'g so see what the others think....:D

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I agree, she looks like a Russian tortoise, not a Hermanns. Changing the substrate would also be a good idea.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
It looks like you have a russian tortoise not a hermanns tortoise. And I would take the advice of the others that posted and change the substrate.

Rochellec

5 Year Member
Thanks guys.

A Russian tortoise wow I got her as a present and was told she was a hermann. Thanks for that.

However I have already changed to topsoil but it drys out so often. I spray it twice a day

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you want to add a little humidity---pour some warm water into the substrate directly under the basking spot...not drenching it, but just some to add a touch of humidity..... :D

Or you can create a warm humid hide that your tort can choose to go into if the desire should strike....

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Definitely a young, captive born Russian tortoise. As well as changing the substrate to something organic that will retain some moisture, you don't want as much retention with Russian tortoises as with other Testudo species, any food and water bowls should be sunk into the substrate more so that the top rims are at or nearly at ground level. This enables the tortoises to have easiler access to the bowls. They are accustomed to searching downward for water and some foods, not reaching up over for them. Food is a little different since they do pick some from plants but in the case of water it is always below them.

Rochellec

5 Year Member
Thank you for the info. I'm going out this weekend to try the coco coir that I have read so much about. Also to get some mos to create the humid hide for my tort. The temperatures are doing well at the moment as it is warm here in the UK I have been able to turn off the central heating which was making it difficult to main a basking temp of 30-35 and a cool temp of 24-26. Right now it a lot easier to control.

As the weather is getting warmer I plan on making an outdoor enclosure. However I won't be leaving her out at night due to the temperature and the local foxes. Will post some picture of the enclosure indoor and outdoor soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.